NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
• IN NORTH CAROLINA NEWS • NEWS 13 TOP STORIES
FISH KILL INVESTIGATION
State and Federal investigators search for the cause of a fish kill along the South Mills River in Henderson County. Trout, carp, and minnows litter the banks of the river four and a half miles north of Highway 280 along South Mills River Road. People started seeing dead fish yesterday after several hard rainfalls. Investigators say they are not sure what killed the fish but they are taking samples to see if any contamination remains. Federal fish and wildlife agents are warning people not to touch or eat the fish in the South Mills until the cause of the kill is identified.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Always hate to hear a report like that.:( Somebody must've put something on the ground that didn't belong there.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That is a shame. I hope that it is not something with long term effects.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Terrible situation. The effects will most certainly be long lasting on the fish hatch, the vegetation, and the food sources for surrounding wildlife. I sure hope they find out what and who did this. Then, maybe slam some fines and possible jail time for that or those persons responsible. They (the State of NC) needs to be more harsh in their punishment of illegal disposal of chemicals. Terrible and sad.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
There is a lot of agriculture in this area.

Big tomato and vegetable growing area on the Mills River and the lower end of it's two forks including the South Mills.

I am assuming the chemicals came off a crop field.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.