Votes: 13 17.8%
  • All the above

Votes: 25 34.2%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When to South Topsail Island fished south end Sunday for 4pm-7pm no hits I was not suprized since I only saw one other person fishing. Decided to stop be Jolly Roger Pier there was quite a few bottom fisherman they were catching small black drum( about the size of a good spot) I decide to through a chart. curlly tail jig my standard bait no hits. Figured I would experament some I have never tryed Gulp shrimp much that was the key, I ended up catching 15 trout not real big 9 keepers 12 1/4" to 13 1/2" all on the same gulp jig. The fish were not really taking the bait I don't know how many I lost. I found the key was to lightly hop the jig then when I felt anything stop and wait about 5-10 seconds like live bait then set the hook, I have never fished a regular jig that way. It took me loosing a few fish to realize this at first I thought it was pinfish they did not bump it like most of the trout I have caught. I finally got to tired about 2 am and started my 45 minute drive back to Wilmington.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That method seems to work well in colder water. Slow/Light hits are common in most all types of fishing when the water cools. Kinda like fishing for flounder... Glad you got on em!!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Good deal on the trout:cool:

Has anyone tried lately down on the south end at the "sportsman area" not sure what the locals call it, all the way to the south end on the right at the pier where the dredge boat sits. Parking area, ICW access and walk down to the ocean. :rolleyes:

THIS PLACE HERE

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1890&stc=1&d=1201747420

Might head there this week end if the weather will cooperate, need to get some of this fresh salty air in my lungs before they close up.

Tight lines<*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Good deal on the trout:cool:

Has anyone tried lately down on the south end at the "sportsman area" not sure what the locals call it, all the way to the south end on the right at the pier where the dredge boat sits. Parking area, ICW access and walk down to the ocean. :rolleyes:

THIS PLACE HERE

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1890&stc=1&d=1201747420

Might head there this week end if the weather will cooperate, need to get some of this fresh salty air in my lungs before they close up.

Tight lines<*)))))>{
We call that area Serenity Point 'cept at the dock area, we call that, you ready for this, the dredge dock ;) :)

Good luck this week-end - hope you catch 'em up!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I USE ALL THE ABOVE EXCEPT FOR THE HIGH PRICED OVER RATED GULPS ;)
Pierman, I just got to disagree with you about the gulp. I have caught more, and bigger, red drum, speckled trout and flounder since I have been using the gulp. I have fished several days with guys using plastics, and I out-catch them 5 to 1. Last outing I even gave the guy fishing close to me a gulp, and he started catching them also. Also great in the backwaters when fished with a bare hook, no lead. It's like fish candy. I have even cut up the gulp baits that have been shredded by fish, used the chunks as bait on a bottom rig, and caught lots of sea mullet. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I USE ALL THE ABOVE EXCEPT FOR THE HIGH PRICED OVER RATED GULPS ;)
I will have to agree on the over rated part. I use them, but they do not come even close for flounder and reds as a live shrimp, or a four inch finger mullet. And as far as the trout goes, if they go to biting, you can throw your key chain in the water, and they will eat it. The GULP does however attract a lot of nuisance fish at times. Just my opinion.;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you are throwing plastic, I think its hard to beat the gulp. But live bait is always is good too. But EVERYTHING likes live shrimp so I get a lot of nuisance fish on it too which is why I only use it in the winter when most the junk fish are gone. Course it's hard to find this time of year too.......

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
TOPSAIL ANGLER,
IN EVERY WORLD WE USE WHAT WORKS FOR US FOR ME I BOUGHT 21 BUCKS WORTH OF GULPS AND NEVER CAUGHT A FISH ON THEM,SWITCHED BACK TO LIVE MULLETS AND HAMMERED THE REDS.
I GUESS ITS THE SAME FOR THE FISH AND AREAS WE FISH SOME AREAS THE FISH LIKE DIFFERENT STUFF LIKE GULP BUT WHERE I AM PLASTICS AND LIVE MULLET OR MANHADDEN HAVE PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN TO BE BETTER THAN GULP.
I DID MY OWN STUDY THAT LASTED A WEEK AND AS I STATED NOT ONE FISH ON THE GULP BUT LOTS OF ACTION ON THE MULLET ,MANHADDEN AND PLASTICS.
I CONCLUDE THAT AS I ALSO STATED DEPENDS ON THE TIME AND THE AREA,IF THERE IS NO BAITS TO SPEAK OF THEN YES I CAN SEE THE GULP POSSIBLY WORKING BETTER,BUT HANDS DOWN I THINK IN MY AREA I CAN GET THEM TO TAKE CUT BAIT FASTER THAN GULP.
ITS ALL A MATTER OF PREFFERENCE AND WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN AND LIVE BAIT COST ME AN HOUR OF CAST NETTING AS WHERE GULP COST ME MY FIRST BORN LOL.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You had better bring a big bucket to put all them finger mullet and menhaden in form the Queen's creek.

Them little bags might not hold but 1 of the last bunch we caught up that creek Tim. 8-12 inch mullet by the hundreds swimming right past us, except for the 50 or so we put in the boat. This is about one cast full of the cast net of menhaden.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1892&stc=1&d=1201836185

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1892&stc=1&d=1201836354

·
Registered
489 Posts
BUT WHERE I AM PLASTICS AND LIVE MULLET OR MANHADDEN HAVE PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN TO BE BETTER THAN GULP............WHERE GULP COST ME MY FIRST BORN LOL.
Pierman, I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I am comparing gulp to other plastics. Nothing, but NOTHING, beats a live shrimp or finger mullet, even a live pinfish. And about the cost, you are exactly right. They are pricey!
Till next time
Tight lines!
Johnny

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think the general consensus is nothing beats live bait and I believe that is true in a general sense. But there are exceptions. I fish live bait, gulp and hard baits inshore - each has there place or time.

As I read this thread I'm reminded of a day a few years ago when me and two of my buddies were fishing from my boat in an inshore tournament (here's a link to the original post). Both those guys on the boat like me, grew up here and have fished most of their lives.

In fact most days they both out fish me. But not on that day. I was driving the boat and using gulp because it was simple and fast allowing me to concentrate on putting my teammates on the fish.

Final count for the day in our boat - 4 flounder on gulp (me), 2 on live bait (them), 1 on an X-rap (boat). Go figure :D

Some days you just never know...........

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
JOHMMY,
VERY TRUE AND I AGREE THEY ARE PRICEY AND ILL STICK TO LIVE BAITS LOL.
SOME DAY WELL GET YOU HERE AND WELL CONDUCT ANOTHER TEST YOU AND ME YOU WITH GULP AND ME WITH LIVE BAIT OR DEAD DONT MATTER,JUST SO WE CAN REALLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE WHEN IT COUNTS (SPRING).
I BELEIVE THEY WORK BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THERE MADE OUT TO BE TO ME BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION THERE,I REALLY DIDNT START WITH LURES TILL THIS PAST FALL.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
For all things there is some trade off. The Gulp do catch fish, same for plastics, live bait and it is to the individual person that uses it to believe it is the best bait.:D

I've heard it all about the Pros and Cons of Gulp. The more you believe in a product the more you will use it and keep a bait in the water and the more fish you will haul in the boat.

This is a small sample of the jigs and color of baits that I like to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Everybody has a go to bait, even me:D but I usually have one of mine tied on at all times.

The more a person likes or has confidence in a bait the more he will keep it in the water and the more opportunity of a bite. At certain times it doesn't matter what you throw at them they will bite. Some days are different and it needs a little "fin-s" to bring them to the boat.

Color is another thing for fishing, all the colors in the rainbow are out there and most are designed to catch one thing,***the fisherman. And you can bet a lot of baits you won't even use that you bought because you threw them a couple of times and didn't catch any thing and put your old standby back on. You keep throwing it and finally moved in on some fish and started catching them so your old standby is the best bait in the world.:p

Tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.