NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am an avid freshwater fisherman, but I am going to try saltwater fishing the first week of April on Bald Head Island. I have a 9' Daiwa spinning rod/reel combo, and need advise on surf fishing baits, tackles, and rigs. Also best times of day to fish and what is hitting/around this time of year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Fishing the surf is not much different than fishing the freshwater in terms of when. Usually, the best times are early morning and late evening. Specs in early morning most definitely. 1 hour to 45 min before sunrise and 1 or so prior to and after sunset. After having said that, everything else is different. The Wind, the pounding surf, the sand, and (April 1st) still pretty darn chilly. Shrimp, blood worms, squid, cut bait, and artificles are all used at various times depending on what is running. Gotcha plugs are good from a boat or the piers for blues, spanish, and albies. I'm not sure about from the surf. 9' rod is good, but if you plan on the big ones (reds, rock, hat blues) you'll need something a little longer to get your bait out to them. Maybe a 12'r. I have friends who fish Portsmouth and Oracoke with 15'rs for big reds. Weights are anywhere from 2oz. to 6 oz. depending again on the water conditions. I've been out there when a 5 couln't keep the rig from moving around. I've given my 2.5 cents and now I'll back off and shut up to let the old stumps tell you and I. Good Luck to ya.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.