NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get some break in time on the new boat, Yesterday, Tadpole and I headed out for Southport. Everyone else must have had the same idea as the Wildlife ramp at Fishing Factory road was a circus.

We fished the marshes right just south of Southport. I finally broke down and bought a tub of the Gulp alive and found it to be alot softer than the old Gulp version. I started to get hits on Gulp right away and produced a couple of keeper Specks and a fat 16" flounder. After loosing a very nice Speck at the boat , I realized that my next purchase must be a good net.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I decided to get some break in time on the new boat, Yesterday, Tadpole and I headed out for Southport. Everyone else must have had the same idea as the Wildlife ramp at Fishing Factory road was a circus.
There was a big King Mackerel SKA tournament down that way, actually two (the pro division and the angler division). That probably added to the circus.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
We fished the marshes right just south of Southport. I finally broke down and bought a tub of the Gulp alive and found it to be alot softer than the old Gulp version. I started to get hits on Gulp right away and produced a couple of keeper Specks and a fat 16" flounder. After loosing a very nice Speck at the boat , I realized that my next purchase must be a good net.
Nice catches, sounds like you guys made out pretty good considering the traffic that must have been on the water this week-end!

Yeah you definitely need a net! (Tackle Monkey smiles).

·
Registered
969 Posts
The bite from shore around Southport dropped noticably for me. The schools of finger mullet that took ten minutes to pass you by on the beach vanished along with the fish. Glad you guys had better luck.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
sandbar, I like the avatar.. Foghat rocks!

Reactions: sandbar

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
whoa now backlash you mean to say TADPOLE did not throw his rod in the water??? :eek:

around here any post that starts with "tadpole and i" normally ends with a trip to replace rod/reel lost over board..:D

zooker

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hmmm.... never made the connection. Throw Away Da POLE.:D I imagine that the wait at the ramp and the Tournament traffic probably killed any chance for a good morning bite but it sounds like there were still some cooperative fish to out there. The good thing about king tournaments is once they get outside they probably won't be back for awhile. The bad thing is all the inshore traffic is concentrated around the better fishing times.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whoa now backlash you mean to say TADPOLE did not throw his rod in the water??? :eek:

around here any post that starts with "tadpole and i" normally ends with a trip to replace rod/reel lost over board..:D

zooker
I've been out with him twice now and I don't think that he's lost anything. Then again I usually busy handling the boat. Maybe, I better do an inventory of my own tackle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Backlash, I fished across the river from where you fish Sat. and caught some specks and reds. The finger mullet returned and so did the fish. One of the reds had a parasite on one of its fins that I at first mistook for a mole crab. Guess it was a parasite of some sort. Sure was dug in. Caught the specks on a mirror lure, 4" yellow curlytail and live finger mullet. The reds were caught on finger mullet as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
backlash, Now You Should Have Blood And Guts On The New Boat, Now What Did Tadpole Catch??? Chris

Let me answer a couple of the questions:

Zooker, you little devil you, I did not lose a fishing rod when you are speaking of. The fish hit it like a freight train when I laid it down to get Rob a bottle of water from the cooler and he just didn't want me to have it any longer.. I'm saving my Little Mermaid rig for you for when you lose one.

TCFisherman I need to find a receipt for lizard fish stew because thats about all I have caught recently. I did lose a couple trout though. Also remember I always let the boat owner/captian catch more than me show I don't so him up, I do want to get invited back out you know. We did get a little blood and guts on the new boat, this morning at church I put my reading glasses on and there was a big glob of fish guts on the lens and boy did they smell.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Backlash, I fished across the river from where you fish Sat. and caught some specks and reds. The finger mullet returned and so did the fish. One of the reds had a parasite on one of its fins that I at first mistook for a mole crab. Guess it was a parasite of some sort. Sure was dug in. Caught the specks on a mirror lure, 4" yellow curlytail and live finger mullet. The reds were caught on finger mullet as well.
We never quite made it into the Elizabeth River but I'm going to have to go back and give it a try. We started up the Cape Fear but it was a little rougher than I was ready to deal with at this point so we headed back to Southport and found the fish ready bite right there. If I wasn't trying to get break in hours on the engine there wouldn't have been much need to run it at all. I noticed a couple of creeks that looked like they would hold plenty of fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.