NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going down to caswell beach for two weeks I have a 16' Jon with 20hp for back water and icw. Hope the early am wind is low. What flies will be best to use for reds and trout. Any favorite patterns or colors? I have a multicolored feather duster, so give me Joseph's coat and I can tie it. Range of water from blue water marina to snows cut I can cover the icw and part of the capefear with caution. Thanks for your advice. New to saltwater fly fishing

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't know about that particular area, but when I fished the OBX earlier this year, I was told by everyone that the go to trout fly was a black and orange Clouser Minnow with copper flash... And it worked! Caught three large trout on it.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Water Electric blue

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
These are the flies I tie for Specs ...the first one is tied with fake nails and craft fur. It is about 2.5 to 3 inches.

this is a simple wool and crystal flash streamers . Great producers .

In the fall I love the electric chicken colors ...this is tied with craft fur .

There are others but these are my go to Spec flies for Bay River ,Oriental, Pamlico River area . Hope you do well and let us know how it goes!! Tight Lines !!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I wonder who came up with that Electric Chicken name...I have heard many different kinds of lures called that color. Like gotcha plugs...I luv electric chicken.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got to get more better with fly tying!! Is the English in the wool or crystal frash. I'm in the raleigh area , are there any fly clubs near by? Thanks for your flies I'll get some.

·
Banned
324 Posts
Grass Art Font Feather Space

This is what I've caught trout flounder and rock on. STILL NO DRUM:mad: I haven't seen one all year . The two weighted are clousers and the other two have lead wrapped around hook to get a sinking motion of something like a MirroLure. I dont know what they are called kind of a mix between a lefty deceiver and clouser I made up. They look great in the water though.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I am sorry I did not show any Redfish flies...well here are a couple of my best.

My AP Diver

This is variation of a large game fly and it works great!! Its a foam cylinder cut in half and create a hole in the middle for a coffee stirrer ...run the tippet through the hole and tie on an unweighted streamer and your in business! great popping action.

·
Banned
324 Posts
FYI man I don't know what you have been told but unless you are fishing 12+ ft you don't need anything but a floating line and a weighted clouser to get to the bottom. I like this better than a sinking as I can use the end of the floating line as a strike indicator. All I do is leghten my leader. Fish oyster rocks and sand bars and any creek mouth coming out of the marshes, you will hang something.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advise on floating line . I am using WF tapered 8 wt. I USE tapered leader also. I have to count to 5 to let it sink 5ft
You have been a big help/ I try to keep a journal my memory is not as good as the fishes.."remember that fellow that tried to DECEIVE us last year . " "HIS BACK".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.