NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Southport this weekend for some inshore kayak fishing. I used a variety of baits, but I didn't have a lot of luck. A lot of undersized flounder on Gulp 3" shrimp tipped bucktails, and a couple short trout on a topwater Skitterwalk. However, I did get my first fish propelled kayak rides. I hooked into three old drum, and I unfortunately did not have the gear for it. I was using a symetre 1000 fj w/ a medium fast action rod and 15 lb braid. I wasn't expecting any old drum in that area or I would have brought some heavier gear. They all hit live mullet minnows on Carolina rigs fished shallow near grassy points. The first fish I was in the kayak for, and he literally dragged me a about 100-150 feet. I fought him hard for ten minutes before I got him fairly close (I think he was pulling me towards him more than the other way around), and I saw him. It was definitely a citation class fish, and it put the king mackerel and large rays I've fought to shame in terms of his sure power. The fish saw me, and he took off again. Unfortunately this time it went straight for some docks. I tightened down my drag to try to turn him, and when I did my 15 lb braid snapped. The other two I hooked into were nearby off the dock, and they both spooled me. I saw one, but the other I didn't get a look at. Needless to say, it was enough fun for me to target them with some heavier gear next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.