NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish out at emerald isle on the bogue inlet pier. and ive been waiting a year for the big blues and spanish to come back around. i didnt get to catch any last year when the big blues were here. but i was just looking on the piers website and some people had some nice spanish and they had some big blues. the big blues were on live bait rigs and some blues on and spanish on plugs. if anyone who reads this fishes out there what color plugs are the blues and spanish getting cought on?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If from a pier, Backlash has good info for ya and I'm sure Mike will chime in as well.

If from boat for spanish mac's, you cannot beat trollin Boone Bird rigs.. 4-5 inch bird (Pink/white/or blue) with 3 small squid bodies (clear sparkle work great) and a trailer 1/0 clark spoon.

Run 2 rear lines out (port/starboard) and drop one in the way back middle position.

Watch for birds, deploy the spread and circle the area... you will boat spanish on them Boone bird rigs! ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome to the site Kingfishing. I'll let you in on some things that work even better. Big blues...xtra heavy and 2xtra heavy Crocodile spoons 21/2 up to 5oz. 2nd choice is a kastmaster spoon in that range. Spanish and blues mixed... a 3/4oz to 1oz red and white head w/ white bucktail Butterbean jig with a 1/8 oz all white bucktail teaser rigged on 30-40LB test speckrig style. You might have to hunt for these but they come already rigged and they will out produce gotchas Most of the time. Fish them til all the hair is GONE! Deep spanish and spanish and false albacore Manns man-o-lure IN CHROME 1oz Oh yes I usually carry a couple or three diffrent style gotchas in red/white, chartruese/white red/chrome, red/gold just in case. This time of yr. red/yellow in case a school of grey trout come by. Slow down for them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to this site Kingfisher. I fish there a number of times a year. Usually go there to catch mullet, spot, and drum. I have caught Blues and Spanish, but to get to them you have to have a pass to get to the end where they usually run. Having said that, when Blues are feeding or running a blitz, it really doesn't matter to much on the color, they will hit a kitchen spoon if you throw it. I have caught a number of them on green/yellow-red/white-pink/white-red/yellow, those with black spots on them, and just about any other color. As for Spanish, usually they are mixed in with some blues and you can catch them with the same lure. If you really want to catch some nice Spanish from a pier, go farther south to Topsail, Crest View, Holden, Sunset. This is in rederence to pier fishing as you asked. Out on the open water is an entirely different story. My 2 1/2 cents.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Pink or blue for the bird
White or clear sparkle for the squid bodies
spoon color silver

Sevenstrand or Malin wire for the tail end line from the bird. Can use mono, but will get roughed up really fast from the spanish, will get cut off if blues.

Catch'm up!

Troll as many as feasible.. We had 3 longs and 4 shorts.. when you hit a school of them everything starts singin'! keep drags loose and you wont rip their lips off! ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Scott - Dave is right on about the birds, they really work - especially when the Spanish are feeding on the surface and they often will "raise" the fish from the depths too.

In addition to the birds, I usually put something a little deeper in the spread too. I like the Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow deep divers or sometimes I'll run a clark spoon on a trolling weight with a long leader in between and make sure you have a barrel type swivel to reduce the twists - place it on the trolling weight not the lure. Some days I catch far more on the deep stuff - espicially them days when there is a lot of boat traffic making 'em a little skidish.

Normally silver clark spoons are the ticket as Dave mentioned but on a cloudy day sometimes I have better luck with the gold clark spoon.

check out the reviews:
clark spoon http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/147/cat/3
Yo-Zuri lure http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/82/cat/3

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Kingfishing05 - another good lure for casting to Spanish from the pier (or a boat) is the Viva Parade Maria Lure. Only thing is they are pricey so if the blues are asround I usually don't pull out the Maria. Nice thing about it is that yuou can vertical or horizonal jig with htis one. You get a nice flutter action on the vertical drop.

See my review at http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=146

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
GOOD OLD HOPKINS SPOON thats my fav. Nice and heavy if you want to cast a mile!

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Again For The Post. I've Been Looking For Some Information
On Piers North Of Frying Pan Shoals.i've Found That The Northern
Most Piers Seen To Catch More Fish.i Like Both Pier And Offshore Fishing
Cause You Can't Go Offshore All The Time And Pier Fishing Is The Next
Best Thing. Charlie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here it is, Welcome or bogueinletpier.com, and than just click on current fishing reports and its got pictures of the fish the date they were cough. and you can click on the live pier cam and click on live stream and yo can see what thesurf looks like.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.