NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent a few days down on the Lower Neuse River with my fishing buddy, Bobby. Game plan was to chase some speckled trout and red drum, maybe a flounder or 2. We caught plenty of specks, lots of short ones in the mix.

Early morning on the river with its scenic beauty with a majestic sunrise.

Even hit one spot that was loaded with Grey Trout. Check out the soft plastic in the mouth. This is a Yamamota 4inch Speckle Trout colored worm. It has a dark green back and pink belly. I figured a trout would smash it and they did.

Tuesday morning yielded a few trout and reds. Windy morning made for some tough fishing but we managed to find a few for the pan.

This one engulfed a Zman PogyZ in Pinfish. That color accounted for a lot of fish in the boat.

Everything fell into place this morning as we managed to put fish after fish into the boat. We kept a limit each of trout and one nice red for supper tomorrow night. Again the Zman shined along with some twitching style hard baits.

Bobby's new boat a 224 Black Jack with a Yamaha ShoMax 250, this thing is a beast. Loved the boat, now to get some serious fishing done. Talon on back held us in some windy conditions casting around for trout.

Thanks for the ride Bobby, what a great fishing machine.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts

nice job scott congrats bud

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great job on the catch Scott. great looking boat also. I'd love to have one just like it, but.........sigh

·
Registered
888 Posts
Nice work, Scott & Bobby and great report & pics, Scott! Good looking fish and that's a mighty fine new sled, Bobby!

Scott- I passed by your place in Goldsboro last week, but was on the way to an appointment and short on time. I'll be back through there soon and plan to stop in.

BTJ

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes sir, 22' 4" in length....bad to the bone. Slots under the gunnels that will hold 9 and 10 foot flyrods... put together. Anchor lock/Spot Lock on the trolling motor holds the boat at one place, works great when the wind is blowing, netting fish and bouncing around....:) If the boat moves 3 foot from activation it moves back to the place you marked.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Yes sir, 22' 4" in length....bad to the bone. Slots under the gunnels that will hold 9 and 10 foot flyrods... put together. Anchor lock/Spot Lock on the trolling motor holds the boat at one place, works great when the wind is blowing, netting fish and bouncing around....:) If the boat moves 3 foot from activation it moves back to the place you marked.
Lot's of "boat envy" going around. ......... ICM

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Scott I know you fellows had a good time. Those were some mighty nice looking trout, I know they pulled good. Lower Pamlico
is a happening place when the bite is on. Fishing always seems better up that way.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We will be back again in Mid=August and mid=September to chase more of the same. Along with some light tackle bull reds with popping corks. Also there is a new popping cork rig being made for the fly rod. This is geared up for 10, 12 wt flyrod outfits. This popping cork setup is being designed by Gary Dubiel of Speck Fever Guide Service out of Oriental, NC. This should open up more chances for people to catch bull reds with out sitting down in the boat, casting out and soaking bait, checking bait, recasting fresh bait and on and on.

Gary and Dave Steward of Minnesott Beach, Pamlico Tackle, have done a lot of work getting the popping corks into production and working with the DOA staff. Popping corks gives the angler an active participation into the fishing. Cast out, chug chug and hold on as you see a big swirl or fish take your DOA Airhead bait and head for parts unknown with you along for the ride.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Wow nice! Looks like a fine few days!

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam
1 - 19 of 19 Posts