NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking the updated regulations/size limits before a trip to CB I noticed that there is currently no fishing allowed for Speckled Trout due to a cold weather fish kill.

What I found was that they are planning to reopen trout fishing mid June. Will this be announced on the NCDNER website? Even if does reopen will there be any point to trying for them? I assume it must have been a fairly severe die off for the fishery to be closed and I've had much luck with them in the past two years anyway.

Also the 15" limit on flounder will severely hurt my flounder fishing. I had a hard enough time catching any from the yak last year that were over the limit. Now it almost seems like it would be a waste of time to even try. Maybe I'll try to catch a few Sheepshead instead.

I understand why the regulations have to be what they are but it sure does make it tough on a part time saltwater fisherman.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
It is proposed to open on June 16th to be able to keep speckled trout. Great topwater action time, Zara Spook Jr's, Mirrolure Top Dog Jr, Rapala Skitterwalk, will bring them to the boat.

The size of Flounder last year was 15 inches, not sure what size you were catching but the rule on them hasn't changed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the flounder I caught last year were 11-12". I guess it's a good thing that I didn't catch any between 13-15 because the print out I had must have been old and still said 13". The only fish I kept was a 23" drum that my daughter and I had for dinner.

I had a tough time last year. I got skunked at Trails End and didn't do much around the CB boat basin. It may have been the weather/wind because I didn't see anyone catching much of anything. I did alright at Ft. Fisher with the reds but I earned every one. I put in two long days in the yak down there. I hate to give up on Trails End but I've never been able to catch much there at all.

I want to try out some of the shallow sections where the boats can't make it around the CB State Park this year but I'll probably spend most of my time at FF. I think I'll suck it up and make the journey to Buzzards Bay.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You taking about the boat ramp area Trails End? Should be some flounder around the islands there. The creek off to the left just beyond Masonboro Yacht yard should also have some and red drum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts