NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read in CCA's Tide Magazine that trout feed 2 hours a day and chill the other 22 hours digesting whatever they gorged on. It was quoted from a world record holder in Texas. I have never heard this before
and it was a case for using small baits during the chill period which makes a lot of sense. Any comments on the two hour feeding [SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP]binge?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Some days they'll feed heavy all day long, others they'll only feed for a certain window of time. Saying they only feed for a 2 hour window is a little off the wall IMO. I've disproved that theory on countless occasions. I've also had my share of trips where the fish only seemed to feed for an hour. In some of those hours it was every cast action and then like someone flipped a switch it shutoff.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Was discussing this with a friend not too long ago. Oppurtunistic/ambush feeders generally don't wait on the clock. If he's hungry and the oppurtunity presents itself, he's gonna eat. While most fish are more active in the morning and afternoon hours, trout in different areas behave differently according to conditions and forage. This article may be coming from a (lunar) tidal area with lots of tidal flow. In that case, the author may be correct. Tidal trout behave a bit different than brackish/river trout, in my opinion. They can definitely be harder to time, as far as active feeding periods. It seems it is almost always tidal-based. Sometimes they will bite on that first 30-45 minutes of the outgoing tide and shut down all of a sudden, or move to another location. Or sometimes the last 1-2 hours of incoming tide will have them feeding heavily, just to have the bite disappear on slack high. Salty trout are weird like that. Now "river trout"---they eat if they are hungry. Especially if bait is present. Throw a little wind in the mix, and you can catch them all day if you stay on them. But they all have an affinity for one thing: moving water. If time dictates the hours of moving water, then time can surely dictate the bite. Fisheries and feeding habits differ from region to region, and this guy just might have his region wired. But to say that all speckled trout feed at the same times in all areas is a far-fetched notion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Weather, hot or cold, barometric pressure, tides, all take a part in when fish feed. They may only feed a two hour window in cold water where they are not expending lots of energy, but in warmer weather they move more and need more food.
Scott, you are absolutely correct...as others are saying, they bite at all times of day and sometimes it cuts off in couple hours or in 2 hours and we say they have quit feeding, move to new location and they are biting again. I think lot depends on the location of the food source, and in cold water seems that hold more closer to a certain depth and don't move as much, thus use have to know these holding spots and the more you know increases your chances of a good, fair, or bad day on the water.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.