NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as trout fishing is on fire right now, and sites like this help pass the time between outings, I figured why not pose a question to the group:

If you could build the ultimate speckled trout (and to a lesser extent, an "inshore") combo for your particular fishing style, what would you build?

This can be for boat/shore/surf/kayak, and money is no object.

I think, off the top of my head, my combo would be a Stella 3000 FI paired with some form of 7'4"-7'6" custom rod featuring a light tip and strong backbone, fast action, titanium guide train, throwing 10-15# Samurai braid with 10-20# flouro leaders. Maybe a Hatteras Jack build by Ryan White of some sort. If off the shelf, then I'm probably going with one of the Loomis NRX Inshore models.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Since this post is about not having a budget, I'll play along. My "money is no object" combo would be a Stella FI 3000 spooled with 10 pound Seagaur Smackdown Braid and a 7'2 Medium Light Fast action custom built rod. The rod would likely be built by Mike Pederson of Riley Rods and would utilize a Rainshadow RX8+ Blank with all of the lightest components including a custom poured grip matched to my hands.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
There are a lot that used to like them that are now complaining about them too.

I have a few myself. 4 actually. They are all 6000 models and haven't given me any trouble. However, they only see use 4 months out of the year and don't handle a whole lot of fish. They did work in the fall of 2013 fighting old drum, but this year I only soaked bait for them one time. The ones I hear the most trouble out of are the 2000's.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
St croix triumph 7', ml, fast action or xtra fast if they have it
Shimano stradic ci4+ 2500
That is my prefered combo
Doesnt mean i cant catch em on cheaper stuff
I bought a 19 dollar BASS rod at academy and foul hooked and landed a 40lb grass carp. That was a well spent 19 dollars. Im a kid so i dream about nice stuff to have a good bit.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Deleted several comments. Keep it clean and remember, there are children reading this. If you don't have anything positive to add, don't add anything. Private messages are meant to be just that, PRIVATE. If you have a problem with the behavior of another member, please bring it to the attention of one of the moderators. It will likely be resolved in a much faster manner and will result in a lot less work on our parts. Thank you, now lets hear about those dream setups!

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I got a used Lamiglass 7' light action rod paired with a small Shimano reel off of Steve at the RedX Kinston M&G 2 years back. It would be my dream speckled trout rod, but it worked so well for the mountain variety that I leave it home when I go to the coast. I would like to try speck fishing with a Calcutta 50 paired to a nice ML 7' fast action casting rod. I would be a little light for BDonks, spooks, and such but it would be alot of fun when they were hitting flukes on light jigheads or the little Husky Jerks and MirroLures that were working when we were at Bay River.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I love my Carolina Custom rod by Brett Hinson. Can I compare it to other rods I have or have used? Not really. I don't think I have a rod otherwise that cost more than $100 new and doubt I have but one in that range the rest are $35 to $70 rods. I am more on function and have a hard time seeing a $300 reel on a $350 rod for a 5lb fish. I truly think even if I could afford it I wouldn't do it. So my dream taps out at a similar set up to what Trigger22 has described. But mine is going to be zebra striped :) aka the "Southern Sportsman Sundrop Special " and will definitely have a nice Shimano parked on it. I might even spring for a custom paint / anodized job for it too.
My Kunnan rods and my 2500 Sedona/Saharas are hard to beat dollar for dollar. I would like a TFO rod also.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
This is what you should look for in building the perfect setup.
Light fast action rod with a flexible tip in 6' to 7', paired with a 2000 series reel, spooled with 10# braid.
You will be casting lures from 1/16 up to 3/8 all day so it needs to be comfortable. ........ ICM

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Darrell, I have been doing well with BDonks using my Tourney Traill Med Lt 7 foot rod. Caught a lot of specks on it this year, with the BDonk.

I would like to try speck fishing with a Calcutta 50 paired to a nice ML 7' fast action casting rod. I would be a little light for BDonks, spooks, and such but it would be alot of fun when they were hitting flukes on light jigheads or the little Husky Jerks and MirroLures that were working when we were at Bay River.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I have heard stories of your bdonk prowess. The magical rhythm that brings the big girls up from the bottom. I wish it would have worked out to have made it back for some so i could have witnessed first hand. Maybe the Nuese will cooperate with some shad fishing this spring.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.