NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends and I tried our luck for some specks this morning. Never having caught them before, we scoured the forums for info and found plenty. I appreciate your advice too Brad.

The bite started pretty slow for us as we moved along grass banks with gulp shrimp and a slow presentation. The slow bite provided the two biggest fish of the day though.

Water Smile Military camouflage Camouflage Goggles
Water Photograph Lake Fisherman Fish

After fighting the tide and a horrible wind for several hours we decided to try and anchor down and put some shrimp under some corks. It was lazy man fishing but we stayed busy for the rest of the day! Catching fish and clowing around in the boat.

Cloud Water Sky Outerwear Vertebrate
Water Camouflage Sky Military camouflage Cloud
Water Sky Vertebrate Lake Fish
Glasses Hand Water Vision care Sunglasses
Camouflage Sky Cloud Military camouflage Water
Jeans Tire Trousers Wheel Sky

All in all we caught 9 Specks, 7 of them keepers and 1 drum that was too small. We felt pretty good considering it was a new species for all of us. Can't thank you all enough for the great input you freely share. Plus,we had a great time despite the wind and cold.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
I think I know where you caught all them fish at lol. Im glad you guys had a banner day. Im just sorry you guys didnt get the slam lol. I catch more trout other places but I get better size where you guys were at. Brad

·
Registered
822 Posts
yall did well for never catching any before today.congrats.im looking to catch my first speck when i go to the beach soon also.

·
Registered
822 Posts
would love to take you up on that and thanks for the offer but i will prob never get down there being in school and all:(

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Hit me up this coming summer and I'll take you to a bowfin hotspot that is the best in the state. But if not I head to Charlotte once a year so I may be looking for a hotspot there sometime this winter. Brad

·
Registered
822 Posts
the Mcguire Nuclear Station, Marshall Steam Station, Allen Steam Station, and Catawba Nuclear Station are actual Hotholes.a lot of anglers on here around Charlotte hit them up for stipers mainly,catfish and largemouths also in the winter. McGuire is the main big one everyone goes to. there are a lot of posts on here if you search McGuire nuclear station or Mcguire hothole and find some of the regulars and maybe shoot them a pm to get some fishing buddies when you come down? i might hit Mcguire up this winter if im not too busy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah those pictures give it away for anyone that has been there. Good to know the specks are there apparently - my next trip is Thanksgiving weekend. Did not know there were puppy drum to be found at the trestle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The funny thing was that I was busy trying to detangle one heck of a bird nest for a good min or two
when that drum tried to rip it out of my hand. Took me a second to realize what was going on and remembered I had a baited hook in the water still and something wanted of it..

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've never put shrimp under a cork (which means nothing given my experience) - did you have any weight or just the hook/bait, and how much line under the cork?

·
Registered
41 Posts
good job keeping those tiny blacks! totally awesome!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where they were fishing can be loaded with small black drum at times; after awhile you got to keep some. Small ones taste good too!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, black drum - there is no size or creel limit but I guess the general wisdom is to keep the larger ones (but not the real large ones). But yes they can swallow a hook pretty good and do some damage to themselves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.