NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
This is the best time of year for Specks. Some are taken just about year round but October and November are the best times around the Topsail area (and many others).

Jetties are great trout magnets in the fall. The Cape Lookout jetties & Masonboro jetties are two very popular places to trout fish in the fall.

Good luck and I hope that frying pan is sizziling soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,

I have not posted in a while but I have been keeping up with things going on.:p I am not much of a talker. Although once I get started the flow goes on.:) I have not had much of a chance to get out and fish this year as I wanted too.:mad: I hope to get some fall and winter saltwater fishing in at the OBX between now and November. I hear this may be a good year for all. I am still learning the OBX and I know it changes as the seasons come and go. So Tight lines to all. :) I enjoy reading all the post and viewing the pics.:) I also learn a lot from all of you guys. Maybe one day I will be able to travel and fish the OBX like I want too. Keep those post coming, cause I sure will keep reading. :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
From what I gather on the trout situation up that way is you might need to leave the Neuse as the influx of fresh water from the tropical storm earlier this month has caused the shrimp and mullet to leave the river for saltier water and of course many of the trout followed. Try fishing the bridge to Atlantic beach or the one to Harkers Island for starters. some good catches have been made there recently in the evenings but early mornings might pay off also. You should find plenty of finger mullet migrating thru also. Another good spot to try would be the middle marshes. This time of year the finger mullet migration really turns on after a good steady NE wind sets up southerly currents. The trout and flounder will be keying on the migrating finger mullet so key on the bait to find them. Also remember that specks don't like swift currents so look for structure that will break up the current such as bridge pilings, dock pilings, oyster bars.this time of year large numbers of fish are moving south and staging to move offshore for the winter so hunt them accordingly. Al

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
almiyo--- My choices are soft baits fished on jig heads. They are catching on the Gulp 3'' shrimp (new penny) These are effective in areas that I fish.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Most spec fishermen in NC use soft plastics on jigs. gold spoons and mirrolures are a couple other old standby options as well as spec rigs. Speckrigs can be fished without a float or with your choice of either a poppin float or a rattling float. As for live bait shrimp, finger mullet, small menhaden, small pigfish,pinfish etc. Those are the standbys just make sure you put them in front of hungry fish. When trout aren't in the mood it is hard to tempt them with any of the above. Generally a moderate current is preferred but none is good in some areas. Best times are early morning and late eve. low light periods. Try also to hit them again during the peak solunar time for the day especially if the chart indicates it will be a good fishing day. Take Good PICS and don't tell nobody exactly where you got 'em. 20 miles is close enough. AL

·
Registered
145 Posts
specks

Sinkerman, thanks for all the good info, I'll take it all to heart except maybe that 20 mile limit, as there is only a couple of things that get this "old fart" excited anymore and that is a new boat or finding a new hot spot. May not be able to contain it. Hope to be getting out Wednesday and Thursday . We'll see what hapens. Al

·
Registered
145 Posts
specks

Fojoloy, thanks for the tips. Going by the Neuse Sports in a little while and plan to add to my collection. Neuse stock will probably jump ten points today after I get out of there,LOL. Al

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hey Mike. I wanna be nosey. Have you tied any jigs or been to Doug's Tackle line lately? He does some pretty work! Looking at his made me decide that I needed to do better on mine.I'm still a bit of an individualist though, always trying something different. Some of it even works. And some...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.