NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess i will start this one.
What can i say about speckled trout fishing? I think this one is very popular around the outer banks. there are many places to fish here around roanoke island and the beaches. some of those places are: duck island, trout hole, some times fishing off of the beach. i would have to say the best place during the summer months would have to be duck island. i was going fishing there every weekend when i had off of work. was a good summer.
When it comes to fishing for those speckles it has to be one of the most enjoyable or unenjoyable fights. when you get it on the line you will feel him on there for a little while and then he will start swimming in the direction you are reeling. you will cuss that fish until you get him in the boat. sometimes you dont even know you have him on until you actually see him.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Thanks for getting this one started! I love spec fishing and love to eat them too! Most of my spec fishing has been done in the Oriental area of the Neuse River/Pamlico Sound. There are a couple of great guides that are members of this site that can put folks on specs in that area. Capt. Gary Dubiel (Spec Fever) and Capt. Mark Hoff (Sweetwater Charters) are great folks to connect with if anyone is ever interested in fishing the Oriental area. Here is a citation spec I caught fishing with Mark about three years ago. ;)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you ever get down to the outer banks look me up i can take you to some nice places in the summer time to land some keepers. dont know if i can match up to that pic you got. dont think i ever caught one that big. what size was that.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Thanks for the invitation. I'll take you up on that one of these days! ;) You know I can't even remember how big that trout was now. I was so tired when I got home that day that I filleted him, cooked him and forgot about it. :p I'll ask Mark if he remembers.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Great info! I've never fished for Specks... I'm new to "serious" saltwater fishing so any info is good! I'll look into the whole "when , where, how" of this fish since I'm fishing the Pamlico River.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sundrop,
i dont know about fishing in the pamlico river but you should try outer banks some summer. you will love it. thy are not as big and ncanglers but just about all of them are keepers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Made a trip down to texas this past summer and did some trout and red fishing with a buddy of mine. they have some awesome fishing habitat. and got me hooked on fishing for trout and reds

Have been using a couple of baits that the guide we used highly recommended and having been using them here in NC with much success. the are called Norton sand eels and the corky these two lures have greatly increased the number of fish i have caught may want to give them a try. had to purchse these baits online since none of the local tackle dealers carry them they are well worth the wait very durable and catch fish

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The great thing about speck fishing is you can do it year 'round.That and they are good eating. Florida and Texas produce plenty of real trophies but don't count NC and VA. out for trophy specks. You can also catch a trophy sized grey trout in NC during the fall and winter.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Cape Lookout rock jetty is a good spot, usually crowded as all get out. Middle marsh area there south of Harkers is another good spot. I'd think pretty much anywhere with grass flats and a couple of deep holes or troughs would be where to check on a nautical map for areas. I have a really good map book I got from AK McCallum's in Fayetteville.. show's rock, sand, shell type bottoms, has a good legend of currents and such, GPS #'s and also best times of the year for what species and etc... I wish I had the name of it with me,,, but I'm out of state right now.. When I get back home I'll post what book it is (unless someone beats me to it).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have enjoyed reading the posts about speckled trouts. Nice speck pic! As much fun as trout fishing is, I enjoy watching speckled trout anglers almost as much. They are a secretive and sneeky bunch! Anglers that target any other fish are eager to share information about catches including location and bait. But not the speckled trout angler. Just recently, I saw a couple of guys stuff trout into their waders as they were leaving the beach, so fishermen coming onto the beach would not see what they had caught! Last week, my wife and I watched a guy catch and add to his cooler, five nice specks as we were sitting on the steps of a beach access enjoying the evening. As he left the beach, I ask if he had had any luck. His answer was, "Just a couple of bumps." Donna and I had a good laugh as he walked down the steps towards his waiting truck. I had told Donna that he would lie. She couldn't understand his answer. "Trout fishermen!", I said.

Till next time....
Tight lines!
Johnny
"FishinTopsail"

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You are right Johnny about the speck fisherman keeping quiet. Grouper fisherman are pretty protective too. They'll show you their catch back at the dock cause they are 20 miles from where they caught it, but otherwise you'll get little if any ACCURATE info.

Here's a snippet from an earlier post I made regarding this subject.

----------------------

This is a conversation you might encounter with an ole salty speck fisherman while he is on top of his favorite fishing spot:

(Visitor) V. How's the fishing today?
(fisherman) F. Just got here myself (translation - "just" can mean anytime up to a full tide cycle).

V. Having any luck lately?
F. Nary a bite (translation - he's only referring to the time since you arrived).

V. Nice looking trout rod you have there, you have much luck with it?
F. That ole thing? trout you say – ah, so that's what it’s for. (translation - his most prized possession).

V. Well have a nice day, hope you catch some specks.
F. Aye-up (translation - I will just as soon as you get out of my sight).

·
Registered
489 Posts
You are right notlucky, "I fish, thus I lie." But speck surf anglers are a "special bunch". I haven't witnessed an angler going after other fish, act the way speck anglers do. I have never seen anyone stuff flounder or mullet in their waders. I love this sport!
Fishintopsail

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sinker Man, I will agree with you. I haven't caught a keeper flounder this season. First time I have been "skunked" by flounder in a long time. I caught lots of flat fish that were 13 1/2 inches long. But I can't recall seeing anyone releasing a fifteen inch flounder. Speckled trout anglers do love their fish of choice. Most won't even keep one that is less than sixteen or seventeen inches long. Let's give these anglers a pat on the back for their conservation efforts. My comments about these anglers weren't meant to be derogatory.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sundrop,

Where on the Pamlico are you fishing? I have some land on Dawson Creek near Camp Caroline and get down that way periodically to try my luck. Any numbers will be appreciated.

Doc

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
HOW TO REALLY SPOT AND TRANSLATE AN OLD SALT SPECKLED TROUT FISHERMAN: First rule never bother to check out or slow down for a clean boat that's trout fishing.:D

When you are out in your boat searching for speckled trout and approach an old salt anchored and fishing, you should look for the following indicators:

1-If he is standing, casting and retrieving-keep going- nothing is biting
2-If he is standing and dangling line in the water-he's had some minor strikes-keep going
3-If he is sitting down with rod in rod holder, eating GUMMY WORMS and drinking a Mountain Dew-major strikes- you may want to slow down
4-If he is sitting down and has a hearing problem -answers your every question with "HUH? and when he does speak it's in the Down East Dialect that even the locals can't understand- you may want to stop and make a few cast in the vicinity
5-When you approach one that is sitting idle with arms folded staring into space,( expression on face will be between the look of a billy goat and a brick) not faintly acknowledging your existence-drop anchor and start fishing you're in the middle of a BIG BIG trout bite.

Now, I'm not sure this is correct, but it's what I have heard.:rolleyes: :) :D

Later, Forrest

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.