NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been hearing alot of people such as dr bogus say that the specks are still back in the creeks. I was just wondering when they head back out. And also when do the blues start coming in ive heard around may down here. Well again just wonderin if you gotta info id appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Yup - the specks are in deeper water creeks in the winter. About now, as the days get warmer and thus the water warms they will first move to the mouth of the creeks and into the sound and waterway.

A few blues usually show up in April but the larger fish and the bigger schools will arrive in May. With the relatively mild winter we had - everything may be a few weeks early this year (hoping!).

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yep it's a temperature thing. They don't like sudden changes in the water temps. If you can find them now you can catch you a few but you have to fish at a crawl and it helps to downsize all of your tackle. If you are fishing for trophies only then no need to downsize as they will suprise you with the size of bait they will tackle even in the dead of winter. Ya still gotta fish at a crawl though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was suprised fishing the new river how shallow everyone was fishing for specks. Most of the water we fished was only 2-3 foot deep. However, most of the fish caught were hanging out at mild depth changes..such as from a 2 foot depth to a 5 foot. Interesting me thinkith.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I was suprised fishing the new river how shallow everyone was fishing for specks. Most of the water we fished was only 2-3 foot deep. However, most of the fish caught were hanging out at mild depth changes..such as from a 2 foot depth to a 5 foot. Interesting me thinkith.
Yup. That is typically where you find them as the water begins to warm. That's why I sugggested you try those same spots in a few weeks - they should be on fire then. The shallow water warms first in the spring so think shallow on sunny days - it's just the opposite in the winter - look for them in deep water creeks - that water stays warm longer there.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What you are really looking for in the winter are places that the water will remain at the same temperature longer and doesn't change temperature with each tide change and each passing cold front. These places need to be the warmest water consistently available. As the days get longer in March and April the sun also is getting closer and the first places to warm up will be areas where there are large expanses of black mud or other heat absorbing bottom that is covered at high tide and exposed at low tide. These need to be near deep areas of slow water exchange to maintain their warmth advantage to the fish. The fish will move shallow during sunny weather when the shallows are warmer and back into deep water as the shallows start to cool down. as the days get even longer and the air temps stay warmer the deep water becomes cooler in relation to shallower water and the fish stage at a point in the warmer water that they can easily get back to the deeper water if a really cold spell hits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.