NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a young man who is going fishing with me now that is ready to step up from a closed face reel to an open face one...any suggestions..saw one at walmart from shakespeare that looked and felt good and was only $10 just for him to start with. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
It really depends on how much that you what spend. Normally, the more bearings a reel has the smoother and more expensive it will. The better reels will also have higher grade bearing adding additional cost to the reel. I have a few reels from Silstar that cost $30-$40 with 4 or 6 ball bearings and cast metal frames that have performed flawlessly for several years now. I'm a skeptical of the $10 reels as they typically have 1 or 2 bearings and are built on plastic frames. Check it out it's possible that you may just be on a good closeout deal as the manufacturers change the models just about every year in this price range. Most will probably work just fine for someone that you're trying introduce to a new form of fishing, but it will be a matter of how use that expect to get from it and how strong it needs to be for the size of fish that your catching.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Will check into the bearings. Been so long since I bought a reel that I forgot what to look for.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Coach, I skip'd the closed reel and kid rod/reel combo's all together and started my little guy out with the ultra mini set up.

I think his is the Shakespear reel (holds like 180 yds of 4 lb. test mono) and the little fish rod (If I remember right, cost like $14 for the rod and $19 for the reel). It's the perfect size for him (little over 5 yrs old).

I just passed him down his first big boy rod/reel combo (Penn 4300ss and a FLW IM6 6 ft graphite Walmart Special type rod). Little pricey for the reel.. but the rod I think was under $20.

for a good all around combo, I'd take a look at the Okuma AV series reels!!, they're great! I use the AV80's for casting and plugging and the big reels are only $35.. the smaller reels in the 8-10 lb rating. Match a Okuma AV-20/30 and a Shakespear rod (ugly stick)or Berkley lightning rod should be a good quality rig for a young man. Whatever would be managable for the boy size wise and is comfortable for him.

Here's the AV series Okuma
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=75636

just my .02 ;)

here's a pic of the boy with his ultra mini set up:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again

This site just keeps amazing me with the insightfulness of it's anglers and their willingness to help. Thanks man.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Wellcraft Dave said:
Match a Okuma AV-20/30 and a Shakespear rod (ugly stick)or Berkley lightning rod
Nah, you don't want an ugly stick. I've caught way too many of those. That day included.

(Sorry, I'm getting tired. Gotta quit working and start fishing.)
Lefty

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ugly stick

At least you didn't catch the whole tree...then have the squirrels throw accorns at ya.:D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Coach D said:
At least you didn't catch the whole tree...then have the squirrels throw accorns at ya.:D
I'm getting better at throwing the trees back, and not taking pictures of them. ;-)
Lefty

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Coach D... I want that young man to have the best he can affordso he can enjoy fishing . In my not so humble opinion you can't beat Shimano's line of spinning reels. there are models from $15 on up and the cheap ones are heads and shoulders above the China modles you get from shakespeare or other importers

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info

Thanks Sinker...I've got lots of stuff to take back to him. It'll be his decision, but I'll tell him what I've found out from you guys. I'm grateful to you guys for giving all of your expertise on all the different subjects I've asked and will ask in the future. (Hope ya'll don't get tired of me asking)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bamboo and mono! Just kidding. I'd be telling a lie if I said I've never been called cheap, but for a little guy, I wouldn't go overboard. The Shimano for under $20 is a good way to go and should last a few years. Dick's has a couple good choices that'll fit that bill.

This was a $5 mickey mouse combo! (Probably the exception and admittedly a disposable outfit)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.