NC Angler Forums banner

Spoons

6K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  papadave 
#1 ·
I would like to add a few to my arsenal, I have read that trout usually like silver and drum like gold?

What would you guys suggest as far as size and brand?

Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks...I casted a Hopkins spoon about 1/4 mile off in the surf yesterday. I tripped the bail mid cast like a rookie and snapped the braid above the swivel. I may have tied a bad knot or it may have had a nick. Either way I watched $5 and my only spoon sail out of my life for the day.

#13 ·
Anyone use the Bomber "Who-Dat" spoons? I have one but have not fished it. They look neat and make a lot of rattling noise.
I don't know why the johnson spoon would twist up the line? I fish the 1/4 & 1/8 oz and the spoon just sort of waddles back & forth and never spins? Is it the speed of retrieval?
I did put a spinner ahead of a 1/8 oz spoon just for giggles but I have not caught anything with it yet. I used a 3/4" chrome spinner with beads above and below. I never made one before but I happened to have a few spinners and the little thing to attach it to the leader. I used a piece of guitar string for the leader and twisted the ends with a pair of safety wire pliers.

#30 ·
When I'm in wide open spaces i do sometimes. When I'm on the edge of grass/docks and there headed into grass/docks I'll try to turn him. This one was pressured some to avoid going deep into the grass, the drag wasn't the problem. An aged spoon and weak hook was. Also, when I'm on foot I tend to tighten down. This wasn't my first outing, I know all about the drag.

#34 ·
Is that a Johnson spoon or an Asian knock off? I think the new Johnson spoons are made in china anyway unfortunately. I got some old ones a little while back still in the package and the made in USA surprised me. My local shop carries only the knock off spoons.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
FWIW, shifting production to China(or anywhere) doesn't automatically equate to lower quality. It's the lower production standards and less focus on quality control for the sake of greater profit by the parent company that results in inferior products.
There are certainly things that Americans can do better than anyone else, but making a strong hook or applying a good finish can be done anywhere in the world with the right equipment and supervision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.