NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just got back from an amazing trip from Watauga Res. After many successful trips and catching several bass between 4-6 pounds, probably 25+ bass total, and 10-12 small mouth and a lot of blue gill, we got a called Watauga Joe to get us some lake Trout. We were unsuccessful pulling any into the boat. Hooked three and lost them. Anyways. I showed Watauga Joe the LMB I caught and he was impressed. Then he told me one is a Spotted Bass. Then he told me it's a Trophy Fish, a spotted bass over 17 inches is a Trophy fish. So I was pretty excited and we compared the two and he convinced me it's a spotted bass. But some people I talk to say its a LMB, and not a spotted bass. It's pretty hard for me to tell the difference so I'd like to get some opinions before I keep bragging about getting a 21.5" Trophy Fish. My girlfriend hopes it's not a Spotted Bass so I shut up and quit bragging about catching a Trophy fish. Either way it's a nice catch. Anyways. It has a black spot on the back of its gill and it doesn't look like the jaw extends behind the eyeball. Can I get some help so I can rub it in my girlfriends face!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it does have an unusually small mouth to be a LMB. I'm hoping for Spotted. I didn't get a look at the inside of the mouth... He did tear the **** out of my thumb tho. Cut it, instead of the usual scratchy thumb

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Too bad we can't see if the notch behind the dorsal is deep or shallow. Very tough to tell. And hybrid spot/largemouth are pretty common. That would be my guess based on what I can see.

·
Registered
240 Posts
nice largemouth.
+1..........

There's nothing definitive that looks like a spot, except MAYBE a smaller than normal mouth. That's really hard to say based on the way you are holding it and wide angle phone camera lenses. If you took a picture with his mouth completely closed, you'd have a better idea, of where it extends to.

A very healthy largemouth will have a smaller than normal mouth, BTW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.