NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
you can sein them in small, rocky creeks in early spring. I usually find a rocky, moist but not to wet, area near the river and start turning rocks over. It the the best smallmouth bait in the French Broad and Little Tennessee rivers. as for spring lizards, we use to hunt them in early spring when the weather starts to warm up. If you can find a spring that is not to polluted you find them the same way as hellgremites (in this part of nc , everybody calls them "grampuses") as for the rigging, I've found the best way to fish them are with a small ( no1 or 2) circle hook with a snelled leader attached to a snap swivel and no weight. This doesn't hang up in the rocks and they practically hook themselves. makes them easier to release, also The hellgremites keep well if you put them in a container with moist newspaper i've never tried to keep lizards, we just let them go. hope this helps ya

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT sure does. Thanks Thats the way we used to do it when I was a young'un. I was wondering if anybody had come up with a trap or different method. A friend say's that when he was younger they would walk up the small creeks dangling a piece of worm in front of likely looking spring lizard haunts and hook them like a fish. He said that always worked for them. We always flipped rocks and grabbed them. About as much fun as using them. AL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.