NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Weldon Yesterday. Was raining when I arrived at 10:30 but cleared up in the afternoon. While I was waiting for it to clear up a little to take the kayak out, I did catch 10 Hickory shad using a conventional rod and white grubs/pink jigs.

When I finally did launch, I learned a few things about strong river currents and the importance of a anchor trolley. Turned out to be a beautiful day.

[video=youtube;e2VZsGjnHZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VZsGjnHZs[/video]

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Nice! I would have put him on the reel instead of stripping, but that seems to be a personal preference that varies. I do it partly because I sometimes get excited and make a tangled mess of the line I am stripping and partly for fighting something big enough to let line back out; palming is a good way to keep pressure on but let line out. Setting the drag is even better, but that only works if you pay more than I do for fly reels...

Anyway, good job on the catching and video production!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great catch. Did you pick that spot from Carolina Outdoor Journal? I'm pretty sure that's where they filmed their fly shad show.
Actually that spot was across the current and taken by a guide. would have been easier to anchor there behind that big rock.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been trying to get one this year on the fly in/around Wilson. Havent even put one on the normal rod and real yet so I doubt it will be this year :(.
White or pink grubs on pink or white/red eye jigs works the best so far this year. A few caught on the silver spoon as well. Try up at Battle park in Rocky Mount for some hickories. Keep at it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.