NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I use a garden stake for my kayak. They come in 7 or 8 foot lengths 1/2 inch diameter thin wall steel tubing encapsulated with green plastic. Light weight and cost around 5 dollars at Lowes. They are in the garden section and more appealing to me than the 100 dollar jobs I've seen advertised.;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If it is hollow like PVC etc. you can spray it full of "Great STuff" foam and it will also float if it gets away from you. I filled the handle of my net and my gaff and they both float.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I use a garden stake for my kayak. They come in 7 or 8 foot lengths 1/2 inch diameter thin wall steel tubing encapsulated with green plastic. Light weight and cost around 5 dollars at Lowes. They are in the garden section and more appealing to me than the 100 dollar jobs I've seen advertised.;)
Forrest,
One day we're going to have to come out there and do a photo-documentary on your entire collection. I'm sure it could save thousands of people thousands of dollars!

(Now I'm going to sit back and see what kind of hush money the fishing/boating accessory industry is willing to come up with to keep you a little-known secret!)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you want to keep the yak in one place.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
oh...so instead of using an anchor you put the pole in bottom of the lake/river/ocean?? Seems like a good idea.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yes and you can stake the kayak to the shore if you go wading..

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Exactly. It's an alternative to an anchor, but it also can be used as a push-pole if you're into that kind of thing. Some sit-inside folks will stake out through a scupper hole... or you can tie your stakeout pole to the anchor trolley, or to a handle, or a cleat....

I used one that was made from a discarded aluminum ski pole... lost it at Ft Fisher...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You could put one of those twisty spring lure retrivers on it too I bet. Might be handy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
There are all sorts of variations of stake out poles out there. And many good ideas for homemade ones. PVC probably being the most common. I use the butt end of an old surf fishing rod. I push it through my scupper holes to keep my kayak in place. I think I have used an anchor in 9 years of kayak fishing three times. Now, I typically only fish water that averages two feet deep, so there isn't much need. I am sure being here, that will change.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
The power pole thread reminded me that I've been eyeing an old pushbroom handle in the garage, which had long-since been orphaned from its head, as a potential stakeout pole for the kayak.

First thought was to just whittle the end into a spike - workable, but needs maintenance... (I can see far into the future where I'd have just a nub left, sort of like what happens to pencil). Could go with more of a bullet shape, which should hold its shape better than a spike.

Started wondering what kind of metal spike end I could find to mount on the bottom and make a top-notch, maintenance free stakeout pole that won't be too grabby of line, paddles, paddlers when stowed onboard. Want to look like $100 for about $1.00...

Saw this "dutch dibber", which is close to what I was thinking, but not quite the right shape:

Looked up more dibbers and found this one, which I really like:

Doubting that my local HW store carries replacement tips for these things, but maybe I'm wrong. Anybody got a thought along these lines?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Jeff---get a 6 or 8 in. section 3/4 in. galvanized or black iron pipe -- saw diagonally on one end and sharpen on a grinder-- drill 2 holes in pipe about 3 in apart-- insert the remainder of your broom handle into pipe--put 2 wood screws thru drilled pipe holes for retainers--- should be able to penetrate bedrock now! This is the 50 cents version.:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tried out my new cheap homemade stakeout pole in coastal waters and am very pleased with the result. A 6' wooden pole purchased in the roofing department of a building supply store was my solution since it fits into my scupper holes. Next the tool section of the garden dept provided a metal weeder with a wooden handle. The handle was removed, the forked end flattened, and then inserted and glued into the hole drilled into the point of my wooden pole. The ferrule which came from the garden tool handle fit perfectly on the pole tip. A 1 1/4' pvc T with caps for the ends was glued to the handle. Plastic spray paint provided the final touch.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Figured out the stakeout pole this weekend.
What`s 6ft long, waterproof, floats, tapers to a point, and breaks down into 2 pieces ?
TA DA ! A pool cue !
Tilly used his this weekend and worked great. Throw a bungee around and you`re good to go. And as a bonus,
around this crazy city it never hurts to have a pool stick readily available anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.