NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
It's in my future. I have a friend that has had lots of luck with it and says it's a blast. I figure that would be a nice alternative to river fishing once heavy rains make the flows too much to deal with.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I used to do it a bunch. In TX where we used to sight-fish them as they cruised the shoreline in Squaw Creek Lake south of
Granbury, in TN when the 17-year locusts were hatching and falling on the water, and in VA in ponds where mulberry trees were dropping their fruit. The common threads were natural food falling on the water (sorta like chumming) and where you could actually see your target. Wooly buggers usually worked when you matched the size and color of the food.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been playing with it some. My goal is to get them figured out this summer. I have has some success. I've been tying a lot of carp flies lately.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I spent about 4 years chasing Carp on a fly...I lived in Colorado For 18 Years And I will say this...When I caught my first twenty pound Carp on the fly...it was harder than when I pursued Giant Rainbow trout...I used to wear full camo... if that gives you any idea how hard it is to sneak up on and Fool a Monsters carp on the Fly.
I used to call it White Trash Bone Fishing...:)
The misconception about carp is that they are dum...well then why are they always so big....if u don't believe me, just dedicate a week to sight fly fishing for them...You're gonna be praying you were chasing a Dum Rainbow trout. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ive been carp fishing with bait for a while now and got kind of bored with it. I decided this year i would chase them almost only on the fly. I spent a lot of time researching and reading, watching fish in person and dreaming about it. Ive been out many times this year and have only managed under 10 landed fish. It is pretty hard, and the fact that i just picked up my firat fly rod this year puts me at a skill disadvantage. I have seen fish reject a fly with disgust upon investigating it and ive also seen them pounce on them. Setting the hook is tricky imo, and being quiet enough and close enough is also a challenge. Like mentioned by catmaster, what you are wearing makes a difference. I havent been very succesful at it so far, but i learn something everytime i try. I dont expect i will be good at it for a while. If you want to get up sometime and try for some let me know. A partner would be nice. I know a few good spots near raleigh and in nash county also.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yep....I've had 40 lb Carp Come up with a flash....like a large mouth bass only to stop on a Dime one inch from inhaling a perfectly placed fly....and count the wraps...One Humbling fish to pursue on the Fly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts