NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[h=2]MOREHEAD CITY – Beginning Friday, fishermen who set large-mesh gill nets in the Albemarle and Currituck sounds and tributaries will be limited to overnight soaks.[/h]
“This action is being taken to avoid altogether closing the waters in these areas to anchored large-mesh gill nets,” said Louis Daniel, director of the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries. The regulations will also apply to Croatan and Roanoke sounds and tributaries when they reopen to anchored large-mesh gill nets.

The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries received a warning letter from the National Marine Fisheries Service Office of Protected Resources after failing to meet the 7 percent minimum observer coverage for these waters in the spring fishing season, as required by the Sea Turtle Incidental Take Permit. The letter stated that failure to comply with the permit conditions could result in enforcement action, and it strongly encouraged the division to meet the permit requirements for the summer season.

Currently, fishermen in these waters are required to fish their large mesh gill nets at least once by noon each day, but there are no other regulations that require them to fish their nets at a specified time.

The lack of undesignated fishing times, insufficient staff resources, funding issues, weather conditions and stiff resistance from fishermen, has made it difficult for division staff to observe the number of fishing trips necessary to satisfy the conditions of the Sea Turtle Incidental Take Permit.

“Unfortunately, observers have noticed fishermen purposely avoiding fishing their nets when division staff is around and, in some cases, fishermen have pointedly refused to take observers on board,” Daniel said.

To remedy this problem, fishermen will be required to remove anchored large-mesh gill nets from these waters between one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset each day, as is already required in many other water bodies of the state.

“We believe the implementation of soak times, combined with an upcoming gill net permit to be required Sept. 1, will resolve this issue,” said Daniel. “But it is critical that fishermen comply with these regulations, including taking observers, if the anchored large-mesh gill net fishery is to continue in these waters.”

The National Marine Fisheries Service has agreed to this approach.

For specific regulations, see Proclamation M-22-2014 at http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/proclamations.

For more information, contact Jacob Boyd with the Observer Program at 252-808-8088 or [email protected].

·
Registered
591 Posts
Recent correspondence from NOAA to NCDMF.

JUL 1 5 2014
Louis Daniel, Ph.D.
Director
North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries
3441 Arendell Street
P.O. Box 769
Morehead City, NC 28557

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE
Silver Spring, MD 20910

NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) has received the North Carolina Division of
Marine Fisheries' (NCDMF) seasonal progress report for Spring 2014 (March-May) as required
by Permit No. 16230 issued under Section 10 (a)(l)(B) of the Endangered Species Act to
incidentally take threatened and endangered sea turtles in gillnet fisheries operating in internal
North Carolina waters. Recall that Section IV B. of the permit describes the conditions to
monitor, minimize, and mitigate impacts to sea turtles in North Carolina inshore gillnet fisheries.
The Spring 2014 report indicates that the NCDMF has failed to meet the requirements for
monitoring large mesh gillnets in five of six management units as described in the permit. In
Management Units A, B, C, Dl, and D2, observer coverage ranged between 0 percent and 4.8
percent, while coverage exceeded 30 percent in Management Unit E. The permit requires that
NCDMF monitor at least 7 percent (with a goal of 10 percent) of large mesh gillnet trips in each
area during each of three seasons (Spring, Summer, and Fall).
We acknowledge the challenges that NCDMF has in implementing an observer program across
the state and achieving the desired levels of coverage, particularly given fishery management
closures and weather. We also recognize that refusal of fishermen to cooperate may have
prevented NCDMF from achieving the required observer coverage. However, any violation of
permit conditions could result in suspension or revocation of all or part of this permit. As
indicated in my letter dated September 10,2013, which transmitted the permit, NMFS will
annually review the permit and determine whether it needs to be suspended or amended.
Failure to comply with the permit conditions to monitor, minimize, and mitigate impacts to sea turtles
could result in enforcement action. I strongly encourage NCDMF to meet the permit conditions
for monitoring large mesh gillnets in all six management units during the Summer 2014 season
(June-August). If NCDMF suspects these conditions cannot be met, please contact my staff as
soon as possible to discuss invoking the Adaptive Management provisions of the permit, which
may include closing management units to large mesh gillnets when NCDMF cannot meet the
observer coverage requirements.

We look forward to continuing to work with NCDMF on sea turtle conservation in North Carolina.
~JA;i·
DonnaS. Wieting ~ Director
Office of Protected Resources

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
What's interesting is that they can refuse to take observers yet they still retain a license.
Why is that interesting? I don't have to let a deputy in my house so he can see what I am doing.
I am also licensed by the state in a contracting capacity. If the state wants to observe my work, they don't show up and pile up in my truck for me to haul them around at my expense. The state has boats and binoculars. Use em.

Typical bureaucracy mentality. Take a mole hill, leverage it, and advertise it as one of the tallest mountains on the planet.
Excuse for, more tax payer money and more regulation.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Here we go?
Does that mean you can't hold or participate in a an adult conversation whether it agrees with you or not? Or that there shouldn't be any conversation?
Or should I just grab a sign and start yelling the same slogans everybody else does here....so I can be in the clique too?

You've known me long enough. I don't work that way.

One thing I've noticed on this site more than others.
Anytime someone can't handle anothers view in a conversation or it's not an "approved" view you start getting these little innuendo posts like "here we go" or "this won't last long". Trying to get the attention of a mod.

Be a man. Say hey mod, I don't like what this guy is saying, do something about it.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Nah, I think you read to deep into it.

If the law thinks you are doing something wrong and have been blatantly for a while, they will go into your house whether you agree or not.

Seems to me the state is trying to keep the NoAA out of it because they CAN with all there "federal powers" shut it down.

It is all about lining pockets bud.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
I can handle disagreements with logic behind it. But BS is unacceptable. There is obviously a problem with you and I on this subject.

I don't cry to the mods and don't back down.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Nah, I think you read to deep into it.

If the law thinks you are doing something wrong and have been blatantly for a while, they will go into your house whether you agree or not.

Seems to me the state is trying to keep the NoAA out of it because they CAN with all there "federal powers" shut it down.

It is all about lining pockets bud.
That's not the way this works, otherwise EVERY commercial fisherman in the state is being accused. A highway patrolman can't show up at your house to ride around with you on Saturday night because you might drink and drive.
The state has it's own resources. In fact, let the state run their own nets to get their own count. It's that simple. Farm it out to ECU or UNC Wilmington marine biology departments. No need to harass someone making a living.

Fisheries is wanting these guys to supply the assets in what amounts to a long running campaign to run them out of business. I wouldn't let em on my boat either, standing on principal.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Seems like you want them to run free and keep everything with no regulations, cause it's "historical".

Most just want current regs enforced

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
That's not the way this works, otherwise EVERY commercial fisherman in the state is being accused. A highway patrolman can't show up at your house to ride around with you on Saturday night because you might drink and drive.
The state has it's own resources. In fact, let the state run their own nets to get their own count. It's that simple. Farm it out to ECU or UNC Wilmington marine biology departments. No need to harass someone making a living.
That's called road blocks. And they can set those up

·
Registered
360 Posts
According to the DMF website - "Fishermen are required by N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission rule, the federal Endangered Species Act and the federal Marine Mammal Protection Act to carry observers on board when asked. Failure to do so may lead to enforcement action against the fisherman and could close the fishery for all users."

Sounds like a requirement for holding a license. If you can't meet the terms of the license, don't get one.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Seems like you want them to run free and keep everything with no regulations, cause it's "historical".

Most just want current regs enforced
That's not the case Brenardo. All sides need to compromise.
There is too much of the if you don't do it the way I do it then you shouldn't be able to do it all mentality across the board in all forms of fishing across the country whether it be tournament anglers pitted against the weekend warrior. Rec. against commercial. Catfishermen against bass fishermen. Rod and reelers against shocking, jugging, or limb lining. My way or the highway. There is room for everybody but EVERYBODY needs to be man enough to leave his personal emotions and attachments at the door and "that fish could have been mine" BS needs to go.

I guarantee you nobody on this website likes to fish more than I do.
I've fished since I was big enough to walk. Brought up fishing and have never hit the pause button on fishing. I can live with all and fish right along side of it all but there is more to it than me and mine. I realize that. I can see that.
Sure, my fishing could be better but somebody else's is going to be worse as a result of of mine being fantastic.
The constant war in the fishing community is killing fishing. Fishermen pitted against fishermen.
It's insanity. It creates a vacuum just ripe for the feds to step and what they do may not be good for anybody.

The fed doesn't help matters. They exacerbate it. They often create the rift in an attempt to get where they want to be in the matter. They use, threaten, and exploit. Hatteras Island as an example.

I'll tell you right now, there is not a person on this site I wouldn't or couldn't fish with despite any differences we have. I'm not a grudge carrier. I could jump on a commercial boat tonight, rod and reel with you tomorrow night, and jug fish the next night.
It's just the way I am. I don't begrudge anyone their fishing or fishing practices even if I don't entirely agree with them.

All forms of fishing have brought men and women together for ages.
There is always 3 sides to a story and all 3 sides matter.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
According to the DMF website - "Fishermen are required by N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission rule, the federal Endangered Species Act and the federal Marine Mammal Protection Act to carry observers on board when asked. Failure to do so may lead to enforcement action against the fisherman and could close the fishery for all users."

Sounds like a requirement for holding a license. If you can't meet the terms of the license, don't get one.
And that makes it right? That's like saying the Affordable Care Act and everything in it is right.
Get your own boat and follow me. You won't use my personal assets to investigate me without a warrant.
Too few people are willing to stand on principle especially if it aids their "cause"
Your boat might be next.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. If I'm commercially harvesting resources from the "commons", I'm ok with being checked and observed. You can even tag along while I recreational fish. I have a tandem kayak or I'm walking the bank. I'm ok with requiring observation of commercial wild harvests of any kind.

The wild stocks are not infinite. We've collapsed many fisheries with over harvest and/or habitat loss. It's not a hypothetical. I'd rather see healthy fisheries supporting what they can commercially than taking it all and having nothing.

And, not that it matters, I think the ACA is a needed improvement. A single payer system would be my preferred system. Corporate profiteering in healthcare is unethical.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts