NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
state public access willis landing UPDATED

well well well NEWS FLASH the commercial fisherman who was cited for reckless motoring on the water where he ran around 2 kayakers on bear creek has made a complaint to the state as to parking at willis landing.
NOW you can no longer park at willis landing and launch a kayak WITHOUT a trailor if you do you will be fined and most likely have your vehicle towed,signs are in place stateing this this is bear creek willis landing

[email protected] and contact phone number is........919-707-0153

contact and let them know how much this access means to people without boats.

if this is not the correct place for this please delete it

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not that I agree with the decision, but there are only 4 trailer spaces and no single-vehicle spaces, according to the NCWildlife website. It is also listed as no canoe access.
Personally, I have no desire to try to maneuver a trailer in that tiny lot with Shell Rock less than 4 miles away. Throwing a kayak or small jon out of the back of a truck there makes perfect sense though.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
They should make it kayak only!! Not motorboat only! Boats can come from 20 miles down waterways if they need to.
But they shouldn't have to and not all boats are able to. It shouldn't be restricted to any single user group. The same can be said that a kayak can launch in a culvert or bridge without a ramp so that's a poor argument. If you want a space get there early. If they are all full move on to plan b.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I know the state isn't going to close Willis Landing to boats as it has probably been used by boaters for 40 or 50 years. But the situation sounds to me like a bad attitude on the commercial guys part that he was cited and is attempting to make it harder for kayakers to use Bear Creek. It is wrong they only allow vehicles with trailers to park their now imo. The state generally doesn't have to do any maintenance on culverts or bridges because someone is putting a kayak in there. Boats on the other hand slowly wear out ramps from power loading etc. It just seems to me like the state/county would cater a little more to the guys that generally leave less of a footprint. Not try to keep them away. I take back my initial statement about closing the ramps to boats realizing we all have to get along. If I ever get into trouble on the water I hope a passing boater will come to my aid.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that I agree with the decision, but there are only 4 trailer spaces and no single-vehicle spaces, according to the NCWildlife website. It is also listed as no canoe access.
Personally, I have no desire to try to maneuver a trailer in that tiny lot with Shell Rock less than 4 miles away. Throwing a kayak or small jon out of the back of a truck there makes perfect sense though.
it all depends on what publication you look at to which there are a few but this one says it is conue access page 31

http://www.ncwildlife.org/portals/0/Coastal_Region_Fishing_booklet.pdf

the biggest thing is that for years it has been open to ANYONE putting in car truck or trailor or not now with what is going on with this guy he complained about the parking being only 3 spaces and thats up for discussion as well depending on where you look one says 3 another say 4 and another say 5 places to park but no where has it ever said you had to have a trailor till this guy was caught endangering kayakers on the water and is being taken to court this guy is nasty to ANYONE at that ramp and it doesnt matter who it is young or old,there are people who go there with there kids to let them fish and older people who fish there since its one of the very few places they can fish as long as there not on the dock and now they can not access a public ramp any longer unless they have a trailor. its not about me not being able to launch a kayak any longer but about the loss of access to others,i have a boat i can launch there,ive seen the ramp with 20 cars in there parked up the side of the road and in the lot which is small and everyone respected each other till this guy got mad that people parked in the lot where he liked to park.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
We all pay money to build and maintain these areas so it shouldnt be restricted to trailers only. I have both but if I want to fish in my kayak I sure dont want to pull a trailer just to do so. Its a pretty unfair move in my IMO. I sent my e mail to wildlife.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks island man like i said it is not JUST about me but everyone who fish's that creek more or less now you can only fish it by boat if you dont have a trailor from shell rock to there is like a 3 mile paddle to the mouth i can do it but not everyone can ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
You shouldn't have to. My information came from the website, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. Since I usually haul my jon on a 5x8 utility trailer I'm wondering if they would tow it. Technically it isn't a boat trailer, but I use it like it is.

Maybe their lack of concern is because most kayaks aren't registered with them, and in their eyes that means kayakers don't contribute financially. I know better, but these are policy makers that we're talking about. It's like drivers complaining that cyclists don't pay for the roads in spite of the fact that most cyclist actually own cars and buy gas for them. I'm not saying that it's right, just that it happens.

You can put a kayak in almost anywhere, but you still need a place to leave your car.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Two places I know of that could be more kayak friendly are Shell Rock and Radio Island boat ramp by the bridge. Shell rock has that nice little driveway to a sand beach that would be perfect to drive down and unload or load kayaks but the sign says no vehicles. Radio island has an awesome smooth sand beach beside the pier that could be used for kayaks but a sign says no launching of anything. It would make boaters and kayakers alike happier.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I have a boat trailer that I converted to a flat bed with bunks / timbers on it that I use to haul kayaks. But when we go to Willis, I use a Bed Extender to haul the yaks as it requires less space to park the truck. I really like going to Willis, but not when I have to pull a trailer. NOW they say I have to pull a trailer to use the ramp, REALLY!
Thank you Tim for the post, I hope thing will change. I am writing to NC Wildlife to at least voice my concern.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
​thanks guys and bob yes it is ashame that a t-bone would not be considered a trailor

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
could not get confirmation today as to if you could legally park along side the road in the MARKED spaces on the side of the road above the landing like we always did only was told if you get a ticket to fight it since they are excludeing one user group from the ramp they had just remarked the road way a few months back for parking with the handi cap spot along side of the road and at the top of that it says DO NOT BLOCK road which means you can park there or could before but now you can not without getting a ticket

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow...pretty petulant behavior and just plain disrespectful, that guy ought to be ashamed of himself...but with such an ego, I doubt it. Regardless....Why should anyone listen to someone who puts others in danger? I think a better move would be to just curtail his access and send him up to his room to think about it.

I've been ticketed for putting a kayak in, near a boat ramp-not on it. We walked them down from the top lot and still got a ticket, all of us. BS. Even the officer said as much under his breath but was being eyeballed by some folks who called it in. Yeesh people. And I've got all kinds of boats from Kayaks to pontoons, and my family always has so I'm not biased on power boats vs. paddle. I just love getting out and want everyone to have access so we all give a dang about protecting the resource.

Sounds like a basic respect and maturity issue. Maybe his friends will give him a talking to. I'll send a email.

LOL...what constitutes as a trailer? I'm thinking of a 2x2 with some toy wheels on it zip tied to the back of my rig after I put it in....Hahahaha....of course I wouldn't take up space doing this but it's just as ridiculous as what is going on. Would be a easy way to roll it down to the water tho...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.