NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was sitting in my kayak, shorts were spotted wet, bare legs a little wet, thinking that there will be times I am not going to want to get wet. Especially when it gets cold out.

After some thought I am thinking that my light weight trout waders with stocking foot would be good. It's not like you need shoes in your kayak. Just go stocking footed. Then I can adjust what I wear under them. And they wrap up the body so no but crack. Belted of course. Just like when wading.

What do you use?

mikeski

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
"warm while wet" long johns under rain pants. Jacket that is also "warm while wet". I quote that because they really aren't that warm if you get wet. I go for reasonable comfort using gear that I would survive in if I got wet even if it might be miserable. If I fall in during the cool season, I am likely done for the day. Do you have the drip guards on your paddle adjusted? It helps a lot if you get them right so you don't dip them while paddling but they are far enough out to make most drips stay outside the boat.

Before it gets cold, take swim shorts and practice getting back in your yak to see if you can do it in deep water and how quickly.

EDIT TO ADD - Also, trip planning is a big part of cold water safety. Is it really worth it to cross a big open stretch of water? You have to make your own risk/reward decisions, but when it gets cooler smaller water appeals to me more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have some waders with the boot foot that I wear in the winter. It's nice because I can layer as much as I need to underneath and I don't have to worry if I need to get out of the boat for any reason. I also keep a pair of lightweight rain pants for the pop up showers if I don't feel like getting soaked, although they probably need to be replaced by now, they are kind of old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.