1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 1

10/3/14

Stella

I had planned on putting the Kayak in at Shell Rock Landing about daybreak, but when I woke up at 5am it was raining in Stella and the radar showed yellow and red over Bear Island and Shell Rock Landing. The storm seemed to be sitting in one spot and not moving so I decided to hit plan B and fish the White Oak River near Stella. The rain stopped about 8 and I was paddling by 8:30. I tried the usual spots like the brick yard, RR tressle, cut throughs etc. looking for some trout, but no luck there so I wound up soaking some live mullet accross from the campground. Total for the day wound up being 4 red drum from 21 to 25 inches, all released. I headed back to the campground about 1pm grabbed some lunch and headed toward Shell Rock Landing.

Shell Rock Landing

Put in about 2pm and paddled around exploring, doing some fishing. The tide was high and you could hear the reds up in the grass feeding. Tried most everything I had in the box but no takers and headed back to the ramp where I met Tim (NCPierman) and we talked for a few minutes. I have been reading his reports since back in 05 or 06 on ncwaterman so it was nice to meet him. He was headed to Queens Creek to put in and I almost asked if I could tag along, but after fighting the wind for several hours I decided I was done for the day.

I have 2 of the morning Reds on video, but since I was just letting the camera run, the battery died shortly after the second fish. I will try to get those videos uploaded but I did take a photo of my monitor as a preview.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2

10/4/14

Stella again

Started the morning much like the day before, woke up to rain that stopped shortly after daylight. I wanted to explore a new area so I headed across the river from the campground and paddled over to the backside of the waterfowl impoundment. I found a few deeper holes over there and again tried for some specks with no luck. After a few hours I headed back to my drum hole from the day before. Within a few minutes I had my first drum on and it was a screamer, making several runs. 5 minutes later I had a 26.5 inch beast sitting in my lap. This was the best drum I have ever caught that far up the river. A few minutes later, bam another one on. This one was the exact same size as the first. This went on for an hour or more with 7 caught all in the same size range with the biggest being 28 inches and a smaller 22 inch one to boot. Also caught was a 16 inch flounder and 4 blues (caught on live mullet under a popping cork) I wound up keeping on of the Reds that was gut hooked. When I opened his mouth, all I saw was the florocarbon and the end of the mullets tail sticking out of his throat. My friends wife wanted one to cook that evening, or I probably would have released it anyway and hoped for the best. I will say the fresh flounder and red drum, along with some chicken and the side dishes fed 7 people so no regrets there.

Again, I got almost all of the fish on video in one form or fashion including the flounder, but the battery died on me again before I was finished so I missed video on the 28 incher. I did take a picture of the one I kept when I was double checking his size before taking him to my cooler.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part 3

10/5/14

Keypost 1 & 2, Divers Rock, Browns Inlet

Fishing with my friend on his boat Bent Stick. We headed out Bogue inlet about 6:45 am running about 35 mph. Other than some surface chop, the waves were less than 2' We were the first boat on the Keypost and had baits dropped and were trolling by 7:15. Within 10 minutes we were getting knock downs but no hookups. We could see Kings skying bait so we knew it was going to be a good morning. about 7:45 we got a fish on and it was my turn so I went to work. 10 minutes later after several runs we were absolutely floored with the fish on the end of the line. It was the absolutely last thing we expected to catch while trolling dead bait.

This was my personal best red drum and Bent Sticks first old drum also. We got lines back in the water and within 10 minutes had the first king in the box, then the second and finally a third. By this time there were other boats around us so were were having to be pretty carefull, because they were not. We picked up 2 really nice spanish before we decided to move elsewhere. We then headed down toward the inlet and trolled there for a little while with no luck before we decided to give Divers Rock a look. We arrived at divers rock to find it empty of other boats so dropped our lines in and immediately started seeing tons of bait with something chasing it. Wound up being false albys and we had some fun sight casting to them using our trout rods Wound up catching about 20 or so of them and releasing them. We then headed toward Browns Inlet and switched everthing over to spanish gear. It did not take long to find a nice school of them and after putting 10 in the box we decided to start casting to them. The action was hot and heavy for about 45 minutes as we wound up putting another 20 in the box. It was so chaotic that at one time we could not walk for all the spanish laying on the deck. We finally called it a day and headed in about 3pm

Total for the day was 3 kings, 33 spanish, 2 blues, 1 amberjack (tried telling them it would have worms LOL) 20 false albys released and the old drum that was released.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.