NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I anchor my yak with my trolley system its off the stern 95% of the time. While fighting a fish I don't typically want the rope coming off my bow potentially getting tangled in the line while bringing a fish in. I'm obviously not going to quick release my anchor everytime I catch a fish either. I also want the current to help keep the line to my bait tight rather than throwing up current. These are the reasons I mainly anchor from the stern.

When I want to move, trolleying the line back to the center of the of the yak, Unhooking from the carabiner and all can get old everytime you move. I think you could eliminate the trollying step everytime you move by attaching a pad eye to the stern of the yak. The anchor (dumbbell for me) will just hang at the pad eye at the stern barely out of the water. You will attach the rope to your cleat to keep it fully up or uncleat to let it down. After its on bottom and you have sufficient rope out just attach to the cleat and your anchored. Not perfect for every situation but if you are anchoring a lot and its mostly off the stern it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Right now, I just have 4 cleats - 2 in front, 2 in back - that are all within reach. My plan is that if that isn't working out then I will do a trolley. I have only anchored a few times but so far one of the back 2 has been fine. The wind or current makes it pretty obvious which side is better.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
This is the idea here. Need to get it fully out of the water as dragging an anchor will slow you down and make you work a lot harder then ya think if your paddling a little distance between spots. Can easily easily be made for less that 150. I like the elevation of that bracket though. Dang it bobby. Now ya got me thinking. I just added a Trolly and haven't even anchored with it yet.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
When I anchor my yak with my trolley system its off the stern 95% of the time. While fighting a fish I don't typically want the rope coming off my bow potentially getting tangled in the line while bringing a fish in. I'm obviously not going to quick release my anchor everytime I catch a fish either. I also want the current to help keep the line to my bait tight rather than throwing up current. These are the reasons I mainly anchor from the stern.

When I want to move, trolleying the line back to the center of the of the yak, Unhooking from the carabiner and all can get old everytime you move. I think you could eliminate the trollying step everytime you move by attaching a pad eye to the stern of the yak. The anchor (dumbbell for me) will just hang at the pad eye at the stern barely out of the water. You will attach the rope to your cleat to keep it fully up or uncleat to let it down. After its on bottom and you have sufficient rope out just attach to the cleat and your anchored. Not perfect for every situation but if you are anchoring a lot and its mostly off the stern it may be worth a try.
I aint a fan of alot of exposed rope around fish hooks and fishing. The trolley system is just that.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Did somebody say 140 bucks was pricey? I mean we're talking about plastic kayaks here. The most expensive small boat on the market.

The rudders I'm looking at 299-399.
The mirage drive I'm looking at to install in something other than a Hobie is 600.
I haven't even gotten into the seat yet but I'm setting aside 250 for that.

I'll be glad to buy 50 dollar a sheet plywood and epoxy all day long. It'll be a relief.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The whole idea behind anchor trolleys is to be able to change position without pulling anchor. If your anchor is off the stern 95% of the time, you should have no issue by skipping the trolley stage. I've never had one but they seem mighty useful. I am the opposite way, i have my anchor off the bow most of the time so i can cast upcurrent. Never had an issue with tangling a hooked fish in the line. Knock on wood... But when targeting larger species, my anchor is set with a large float inline for quick disconnection, and provides easy anchor retrieval once the fish has been released.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I don't use an anchor much. Stake pole almost all the time. I also have it off the bow the majority of the time. I'm fairly new to kayak fishing but the trolley has been great for my personal fishing. I've had days where the wind, current and desired fishing spot required that I put the line to my stake pole at mid kayak to provide easy casting. I can't stand having to crane my neck because I want to cast to a certain spot and the kayak is getting directed by wind or current in an undesirable way.
I have also never gotten my line tangled in the trolley or stake/anchor line. It gets tangled about every other place though

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.