NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sticking it to OPEC...a little at a time.

Briggs and Stratton is becoming my hero. Not only have they brought us a better design of electric motor for light electric transportation systems but they have introduced an outboard version of the same motor. So far they only have a 150 lb thrust 3 hp model for freshwater use. It uses their 48 volt E-tech design and features a power saving prop/thrust shroud. with 4 group 31 deep cycle batteries it will cruise at 75 lbs. thrust for 2.3 hrs you should be able to troll continuosly for 8 hrs on a setting of 23-25 lbs.
They are available in remote or tiller models and 15" or 20" transom heights. Learn more about them and the Briggs 5 hp 4 cycle freshwater outboards at:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=76404
AL:p

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yeah, wouldnt it be nice though if they could make some high tech batteries though that wouldnt weight so much. You'd have to have a decent size boat to float all them batteries.

Just last night on the news they talked about how NASA is using plutonium power space craft basically the size of a VW beetle to fly to pluto and back. All self contained power, efficient and probably not too much by product (i.e. left over lead, gasses from recharging, etc...)

Seem's like someone could come up with a high efficient electrical system, but the problem with todays batteries are they are so heavy.

a 11 ft john boat rated for 350 lbs of gear/people by the USCG label running that set up would leave anyone over 150 lbs fishin from shore due to battery weight. Two deep cycles would eat up 100 lbs of that, give 40 lbs for the motor, couple poles and a lunch pail and ...

Agreed, it'd be good to stick it to OPEC, and seem's do-able, engineers and scientist are smart enough to make it happen.

Could you imagin, a twin trollin motor'd john boat that's plutonium powered!!! NO charging or fuel needed for like 30 years.... I think that'd sell, probably couldnt imagine what it would cost though.....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO they do make some higher tec batteries that do not weigh as much and have for many years. Lithium batteries have been around and in use by the military since who knows when. My first knowledge of them was in 1978 but I know they had been using them in that application for at least several years. The ones I was familiar with fit in the nose of a small drone used for target practice. Everything in between the battery and jet engine was electronics except for a small fuel tank and a parachute. The whole time I worked on those drones we had zero battery problems. Lithium batteries are the answer but the dummies don't have sense enough to figure out how to make and utiliize them. IN most cases the lithium battery should become a part of the overall structure of whatever it is powering. The reason being that lithium batteries need to be built in a less dense configuration than lead-acid or nickel- hydride batteries so they can shed heat. I'm not sure but I think the equivalent to a 4 12v battery sytem would weigh approx, 20 lbs. I could be a little off base on that but it is easy enough to research. Until manufacturors learn to incorporate the lithium batteries into the structure of their products they will not appreciate the weight savings that they could achieve or the utility of the product the could achieve. Aluminum is the material to encase lithium batteries in partially due to its thermal condutivty. It is also a good structural and sheeting material. I could go on but if you are interested there is plenty of info available. You just have to look a little harder for it since it is not in the mainstream. AL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most people tend to have a preconcived notion about electric boats. Here's one that will do interstate speeds in flat water. You gotta realize that this a fringe sport that is in its infancy and improvements in speed and technology will help sell folks on the idea that battery boats aren't a pipe dream. Check this one out if you like new ideas. http://www.cloudelectric.com/generic.html/?pid=39 click on the new projects block and then on "New Hydroplane"
Sorry about the link but the good news for me is that they are going to be moving to my area. I am into Electric transportaion technology. AL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.