NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to fly fishing. I guess I've been doing it a couple of years now so any advice will be much appreciated. I've never fished Stone Mountain State Park, but I went up there last week after fishing the Mitchell to scout for fish and I saw absolutely 0! I also spoke with a guy who was fishing and he said that he fished all day long and with multiple fly types and up all of the feeder creeks and caught 0. He had no missed fish and he didn't see any either. I'm interested in heading up there this Friday if for no other reason than to be in the water and enjoy the scenery. I will be fishing Tenkara.

Again any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
They're done stocking for the year.... My guess... Most fish have been poached by this time.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
109 Posts
There were plenty there on 12/3. They have been educated by fishermen for 2 or 3 months and are pretty spooky.

IMO they are tougher to catch now than wild fish. Most of them have had their lips pierced at least once, and no longer think a shadow on the water means fish chow is going to rain down.

Go small, go deep, and fish slow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A buddy and I are heading up to Stone this weekend to check out our hammock gear for cold weather. Was planning to scout some of the streams and may bring my Tenkara rod also. It's technically a Christmas gift, but I may sneak it out.

I've heard the fishing has been okay at Stone, so hopefully you have better luck this weekend.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I certainly agree with wademaster and m75rlg. There is some poaching but not as much as we often like to think. Stone is one of the streams where fish seem to move a lot.... They can be there one week and gone the next. There have been numerous times when I thought there were no fish in a pool...only to spook a dozen or more.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Something to consider.

The GMNP waters can support between 7-14 pounds of trout per surface acre. If 50 pounds of fish per acre are stocked in an area that only supports 10 pounds per acre, the trout will either die or must move to a less densely populated area where there is available forage. Some DH and general stockers move significant distances, exceeding 10 miles.

It is irrational to expect any living creature to be viable and live indefinitely without food. Adjust expectations.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Several folks have reported finding fish in the last week or two where they did not expect them to be. Stone may be a similar situation. A lot of folks are routinely attracted to the deep, slow pools...especially when you can see fish holding there. It's too tempting to pass up. But often the fish can be found in more shallow, riffly water...even at this time of year. In those cases you can't see them and it is very hard for them to see you. That has been the situation in the last couple of weeks on a couple of other popular DH streams.

I have a customer who would routinely fish Stone successully...even despite the fact that a number of anglers were reporting there were "no fish left." He was fond of drifting flies up under undercut bank and rocks....among other tactics. You might also try the same stream but downstream of the park boundary.

The variety of reports is typical for the winter. Someone will fish a stream like the Ararat and report there are no fish left. A few days later folks will fish the same water and report a really good day. Late last February, one of the other popular DH streams fished so well that the anglers suspected an early stocking... That was not the case because the spring stocking of that stream occured the first week of March as scheduled. And that stream is also thought to be heavily poached...perhaps not. There were just plenty of fish left from the fall stockings...and maybe a few wild fish mixed in. Sometimes they're hot...sometimes they're not...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I fished St. Mountain in July a few years ago behind a guy who said there weren't any trout in there. He was live baiting, as was I, and I came out with a limit a couple hours after starting and threw a few back. I was using something different than him, I guess it was just what they were wanting.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fished Stone Mnt a few weeks ago and caught 8 or 9 in the couple of hours I had to fish. I got away from the road and found fish. Never saw them though, until they bit.

Richard, I agree with your point. Fished Helton last week and found fish in the places I normally walk past. After spooking fish in the first "riffly" water I walked through, I started fishing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I fished about 9 hrs on Friday and I caught 6. Caught 2 small bow's on a sulfur dry in the riffle. The rest were deep and I had to use a yellow wooly booger to get them to bite. I've never fished a bugger or streamer with my tenkara gear, but it worked. There was one hole up there that had at least a dozen fish in it, but they were too spooky to hit anything I threw at them. Had 0 luck with my nymphs or killer bug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.