NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I was also stopped two weekends ago. Very friendly officer. He asked me if he could board my vessel to check the fish in the live well. He also did a quick inspection of safety devices.
A few hours later the very same officer had seen that I was stopped in the middle of the ICW, he pulled along side and asked me if assistance was needed (no problems, I had a hose clamp lose and wanted to address it real quick). He wished us luck and went to chasing jet skiers

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Rick, hope you have the bugs worked out of that skiff!

In spite of the horror stories that you occasionally hear, my encounters with rangers, wildlife officers, etc. have always been professional and courteous. I think a lot (but probably not all) of the 'hassle' stories originate from fishermen not being courteous.....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Wish that there were more of these guys. I haven't been checked in years, and I am on a lake almost every weekend. Never had any issues with them, abiding the rules seems to help in that respect. Be courteous and respectful, generally won't be any problems. Wish there were more of them patrolling our waterways.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Rick, hope you have the bugs worked out of that skiff!

In spite of the horror stories that you occasionally hear, my encounters with rangers, wildlife officers, etc. have always been professional and courteous. I think a lot (but probably not all) of the 'hassle' stories originate from fishermen not being courteous.....
Yes sir, bug free at this time. Previous owner did not do a good job with upkeep. Last two things on my list are to replace the bunks and repair a wiring issue on the trailer.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The only time I've been boarded the officer was gruff, but professional. Thinking back on it I can understand if he was a *little bit* jealous though- we were a mile and a half off the beach on a beautiful June day with a cooler full of fish. My wife was driving the boat while I was sprawled out on a bean bag chair under the bimini top with a cold beverage in hand :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most of them are very nice. A lot depends on the attitude of the person they have stopped. My father use to be a game warden and when I was young, I went with him a few times. I have heard preachers lie and curse him. I can remember on man that he stopped with NY tags on his vehicle and Dad ask him where he was from since he had a resident fishing license and the guy told him pan te go. Dad said he didn't think so considering he had no idea how to pronounce the name. Everyone in Law Enforcement has a very dangerous job, especially now days. My thanks go out to all of them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The only time I've been boarded the officer was gruff, but professional. Thinking back on it I can understand if he was a *little bit* jealous though- we were a mile and a half off the beach on a beautiful June day with a cooler full of fish. My wife was driving the boat while I was sprawled out on a bean bag chair under the bimini top with a cold beverage in hand :D
Ran across a real tall one a coupla times. I'm 6",1". Second time we crossed paths he asked for my license. I got off my 5 gallon bucket, flipped it upside down and stood on it to hand him my license. He asked what that was all about and I said I wanted to see who was asking for my license without getting a crick in my neck.

First time we crossed paths there were 3 of us but the pile of beer cans was under my chair and I was the only one with an open one. He asked me 3 or 4 times how long I planned to stay and fish and I kept answering, who knows. I guess until I get ready to go home. He checked all the licenses and then came back to me and looked at the pile of cans under my chair and asked me again how long I was going to stay..Sir, (slurring even though I wasn't inebreated) I'm going to watch the sun come up over this *****. He grinned and left. I got his subtle hint. I was obviously the elder of the party he didn't want us going to jail. He left in his waders and i told i wouldn't walk over there but he did anyway. He sunk in sand up to his waist. Took all 3 of us to pull him out.

3rd time we met he was scoping us from the tree line. I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye and waved him on over. Busted.

He was a pretty cool warden.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have had a lifetime license for about 20 years. I have been checked many times over the years and I have definitely noticed (and had others comment to me they noticed) a difference in attitude a few times. I guess it is probably less likely that I don't know regulations or don't abide by them. I am friendly and welcome the opportunity to get their input on the resource where I am fishing (how others are doing today, how it is doing in general lately and over the long haul). They are usually very willing to share that information.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

We were boarded by a young lady marine cop on the St. Lawrence river. The two guys with her looked too fat and out of shape to do boarding, or anything requiring coordination or physical effort - except for lifting heavy pastries. She was very nice, cheerful and complimentary when we passed her inspection for safety gear, fish, licenses, etc. I fell in love.:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
We were stopped near Swansborough in July by Marine Patrol with two officers and they introduced a visiting Wildlife officer on board. They were very professional and polite. They were most upset about boats passing close, fast with bad wakes. They reminded us that boats are always responsible for their wakes. They also said there was now a blue light law for passing blue lights on the water as well as on the highway. Move over and slow down.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
All the Wildlife folks I've encountered have been at the very worst a little abrupt but professional and courteous, and at best just downright cheerful and helpful. I don't mind them checking me, I'm glad they are out there.

They reminded us that boats are always responsible for their wakes.
I wish more people understood this concept. Sadly, it's like manners in general... a dying concept it seems. :rolleyes:

Reactions: meenyt
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.