NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today armed with about 6 finger mullet. I figured I'd get skunked on top and I'd go look for flounder. I had a rod set up with a popping cork and threw it out with a mullet while I was casting top water. Short story, I caught so many that I quit counting but they were all on the popping cork/bait. The first one was 24" so I put it on a stringer and decided to cut up the mullet and finally ran out. Not a sniff on any artificial and I bet I threw 20 different types. Top water, gold spoons, soft bait on bottom and as swimmers, mr17, etc etc and not even a bump other than two short flounder on Rat-l-trap. I didn't catch 100 but I lost interest in getting a total. I'd say 15 minimum. The biggest bummer was having to swap out my first one for a runt 20" that got gut hooked and would have not lived. The one on the stringer was as alive as could be. I suspect what I did was illegal but, if so, the law making it so is one I'm happy to break. I know the one I let go was totally viable and the runt I kept was destined to become crab food.
It was a good day but I'm spoiled by the top water thrill. The cork I had with me was the type with the cupped top and I'd estimate it adds about 2" to the feel of the fish size IMO. The first fish felt at least 26-27". Still better than being skunked I guess.
I was out for four hours and the wind was nuts. Luckily I only had to paddle about 400 yards to the spot I've been fishing as my first stop. I saw no indication of anything that would suggest to me there were fish there but I was obviously wrong. It' was 18" and less when I started at around 11:00 and I didn't notice a swirl, nervous bait, slicks or anything else but as soon as the mullet got rewetted it got consumed. I think I could have thrown a chicken wing and it would have caught.
Besides the finger mullet I also had 3 shrimp that jumped into the kayak. Each one caught a drum. Stupid shrimp馃榿

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Red X Angler
Sing it with me.... "AINT NUTHIN' LIKE THE REAL THING BAYYBBEEEEE"....... (sometimes that's just how it is..) To make yourself feel better you might have used mullet strips as trailers on your lure..LOL..
**culling is legal as long as the fish you released was alive**

Banned
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sun. I was concerned about culling. I could have sworn I read it was illegal but thanks for letting me know. I think a small hole from a stringer wouldn't harm a drum but I do wish there was a better way to keep one alive on a kayak. No live bait well option and I am always tying to be careful to not remove the slime.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.