NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any info/advice on fishing brackish waters after a storm (for drum/specks). I've done some research and it seems as though the fish will tend to look for water with higher salinity levels since the rain makes the water more fresh than salt, so they will tend to move closer to the inlets/ICW/ocean. That said, I'm guessing I shouldn't try back in the creeks? Would they be more at the mouths of the creeks on the main river? Is there a better type of bait to use in these situations? Banks or flats? Deep or shallow? Hoping to get some evening fishing in a couple times this week and this weekend so I'll let you know what I come up with, but looking to arm myself with any advice prior to.

Thanks and good luck out there!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Danno,

Your train of thought after researching is generally true, that you may want to move downstream toward higher salinity. Of course, there's always the exceptions. One thing that might tell the tale is presence or absence of bait fish. Some of the baitfish are also less tolerant of freshwater, depending on where they are in their life cycles. Either way, its less likely to find the predators where there is no prey. I fished the Pungo hard for 3 days about 2 weeks ago, right after all the rain form late April. It was the dead sea. The main clue was an almost total absence of bait. Also no jellyfish, which like some salt. We've had some east winds recently, which might help correct it by pushing some saltier water over from the OBX. I sure hope so. I plan to give it another shot this weekend, but it never fails to boggle my mind, good or bad.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I made it out yesterday......but not much action! Managed two small flounder. Spooked a couple nice drum and had two nice top water hits, but just slapped at it. That's it. Fished from about 2 till 7 in two different creeks. Hope ya'll are doing better than I! Oh......and I didn't see any bait fish......

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bluecrab is only saying this because he doesn't catch fish. LOL

Danno,

Your train of thought after researching is generally true, that you may want to move downstream toward higher salinity. Of course, there's always the exceptions. One thing that might tell the tale is presence or absence of bait fish. Some of the baitfish are also less tolerant of freshwater, depending on where they are in their life cycles. Either way, its less likely to find the predators where there is no prey. I fished the Pungo hard for 3 days about 2 weeks ago, right after all the rain form late April. It was the dead sea. The main clue was an almost total absence of bait. Also no jellyfish, which like some salt. We've had some east winds recently, which might help correct it by pushing some saltier water over from the OBX. I sure hope so. I plan to give it another shot this weekend, but it never fails to boggle my mind, good or bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.