NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any success with these? I have some 3" Pearl minnow and 4" shad swimmers and was wondering if you have fished with these, did you have any success and if so how did you fish them? They are weighted pretty good, I figured maybe jigging them fairly slow on the bottom, or a regular slow blakemore style retrieve would work too. I really like the zoom flukes for twitching/jerk bait and they seem to be easier to deal with in that respect. Also, any of you offshore guys use these as an inexpensive means of swimbaits? I've seen guys use the 6-9" variety for stripers on SOL but didn't know how well the larger ones cast. Any input would be great, I attached an image of the pearl to get an idea of the color, the shad is just a shade darker. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I received a couple packs as gifts - 3" & 6", all baby bass color. Haven't used them much (at all). I did get a lot of attention at Carolina Beach (inland side) from the 3" Calcutta Flashfoil in pearl white which is very similar. Lost the tails from a whole bag full but only managed to catch a ribbonfish. Pinfish must love the tails...

I'm sure they'll work fine if you fish them regularly, I just seem to reach for other baits/tactics. I think one of the bigger ones pulled slow and steady off the edge of a spawning flat might do some damage on the bass moving up & down this time of year.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i used to say these were the best-looking baits on which i've never caught a thing. but that's not true any more -- recently caught several bowfin on the small 2" (chartreuse) ones! in fairness, i just haven't stuck with them long enough to give them a fair evaluation, so would most interested in your results. // joel

Reactions: Rob S

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I've used them and caught quite few fish them. I have also lost alot of tails to short strikes. I went through nearly a whole of baits one day before I figured out that I was getting a Flounder Bite. I dropped back and let the fish take the bait and hold it before setting the hook. I was actually surprised that the baits hold up remarkably well to a Flounder bite that if you let them take it. Fishing them slow is the ticket. There's lots of action in the bait. I have also found that if you are fishing against a current you can almost suspend these baits in one place.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Most of the team Hardcore guys have or have had those in the 2 in. size. Seen mostly LMB`s caught on them. Some white perch and schoolie stripers. One member Tilly has one on about all the time. Think he caught a few crappie on it. Calcutta makes a very similar bait that I prefer. I have also seen the tails get bit off. If you do any tying don`t toss them out if the body gets bad. I have made bucktails out of the hook and weight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had good luck with the Storm swim baits. I've caught LMB, speckled trout, stripers, and bowfin on them. I've had better luck with the paddle tail as apposed to the curly tail version.

The main drawback to me is when the tails do get bitten off you have to re-tie a new lure. Using a jig head/soft plastic combo you could just slip a new soft plastic onto the jig head and keep on fishing.

The are a good looking lure coming through the water.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I have had good luck with these on stripers in the river, mainly the white or clear ones in 4". I also use them in the ocean as a pitch bait to dolphin and albacore. There I use the pink or green in 5 or 6 inch.

I've had a few of hooks bend real bad and switched over to the Calcutta flashfoil swimbaits, they work real well too and I haven't had any bent hooks yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use these when LMB fishing. I normally slowly bounce them on the bottom - similar to a baitfish feeding. I had great luck with the storm baits over the winter. The pearl color got the skunk off my back early!!!!

fishgent

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I have found the Wildeye swim baits like you pictured are to heavy for trout or red fishing. I do use swim baits almost exclusively...Saltwater/Bass Asassins Sea Shads. Almost always on a 1/8 oz jig head occasionally on a 1/4 oz and sometimes 3/32.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i used to say these were the best-looking baits on which i've never caught a thing. but that's not true any more -- recently caught several bowfin on the small 2" (chartreuse) ones! in fairness, i just haven't stuck with them long enough to give them a fair evaluation, so would most interested in your results. // joel
I second Joel, these baits really haven't produced for me but they look great. I have caught a few small bass and thats it. I guess I also managed to foul hook a 3" pinfish in the surf with one of the larger 6" mullets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.