NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
On Sunday, my schedule unexpectedly cleared up, so I did the logical thing, hopped in the car and headed for the Low Country before anyone could unclear it.

My cousin got himself a new place, out on a marsh-side spot the locals call Horse Island. Locals are never very creative folks, regardless of where they might be local to.

It turns out the horses are wild Marsh Tackies, like the Banker Horses on the OBX, these hardy little ** are descendants of animals left behind by Spanish explorers in the 16th century. They're reputed to have a gentle temperament, but this bunch was actually pretty aggressive and threatening at times, and just in the way at others. Apparently considered a critically endangered breed. Whatever, scruffy mules as far as I can tell.

There's a nice little pond out back, full of nice, dumb pond fish. This was a bit of a trip saver in the end.

Favorite spots looked inviting, but were totally unproductive. Four days, four pune bluefish were all that were brought to hand from god's great big ocean.

Fortunately, the pond was hoppin'. I watched this sow pop shrimp off the surface for two days before finally getting her to eat a fly. Turned out to be a new personal best.

It was absolutely jam full of willing mid-upper slot reds, too. I always thought the ones with mid-body spots looked especially cool. But enough about pond fish; they're a mirage.

Got into town one morning. Lovely as always.

Are we still fighting the Civil War?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

In five days of wading high tide grass flats, we saw a one whole redfish, who stopped by for a photo-op. I've never worked so hard for one fish, and loved every second of it.

Cheers, ya'll!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Absolutely. Tons of marsh and tide fed ponds down there. I can think of at least a couple of golf course ponds with resident redfish in the 50-60 lb range.
The golf course ponds must be posted for no fishing yes?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're generally not posted, and most courses don't mind people fishing the ponds once the flags go down in the evening, as long as folks are off the course by dark.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Saweeeeeeetttttt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts