NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been having problems with my old 25hp johnson motor. Cranks and sounds fine, but just wouldn't push the boat at full speed. Spoke to a local boat mechanic yesterday about it. Said it was either the points or just plain worn out (1969 model). Checked the compression. 50/80. :mad: Guess I'll be restriced to farm ponds with my little jon boat til I can scrape up the $$ for a new motor.

However, my uncle just bought a completely new rig but hasn't sold his old one yet. The old one has a 25 hp mercury with electric start in the vicinity of a 2000 model. I know it hasn't been used much either. I'm hoping I can convince him to work out a deal with me. I will be seeing him at a family reunion this weekend.

What would be a fair price for this motor? I checked e-bay and it looked like similar motors/models were going for $1,200-$1,500.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If your lower unit(gears) work well and you are happy with the old motor you might want to look into getting it rebuilt. You might find a small engine guy that does stuff on the side that can do it at a good price. 25HP is a simple engine to work on and parts are available.

800-1500 for a used 25hp sounds right. You can get a 15hp a bit cheaper. Check Ebay and Craigslist.com as well as call some of the repair shops and see what they have. Many have trade ins or motors left and never picked up and some even spend their spare time fixing motors for resale. I have a buddy in Franklinton that deals with someone up on Kerr lake so I'll call him and see who it is..

Reactions: Muddy Water

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey Muddy,
The dollars sound about right for that motor but the question is will your uncle sell just the motor? It's harder to sell a boat/trailer without a motor so he may not want to split the package. Maybe he'll give you a super deal on the whole works and then you can sell off what you don't want , good luck!
Gery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.