NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 3-7 pm on Friday with shrimp and had 1 strike which I missed. Went back at it Saturday from 7 am-2:30 pm and never had the 1st strike or saw anyone with a fish of any kind. Weather was awesome but no fish to be had.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Well, it was good to meet you anyway. But you missed out when Ryan and I went across the street and netted some hard fighting pogies (or whatever they were). :D

To add to the sad story, I paddled out BTB well past mud line and surf zone and saw no birds working or bait busting. I did a short troll with a rattle trap and a streamer out and got nothing (except an exciting ride on the swells and an education in the suds on the way in).

Drove down to the southern tip late in the day and they were catching fish at the inlet, but mostly small stuff.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I was scratching an itch to get a line in the water and try paddling through breakers while taking my kids to the beach for a day. Mission accomplished, though the wet line didn't have any hook ups and I am not crazy about what I learned about my yak in the suds. However the kids had an awesome time and dinner at Sears Landing on the way home was awesome.
Table Black Tableware Chair Event

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice meeting you as well. I finally quit fishing around 2 and went to the sound side and caught a few crabs and raked up some clams. They'll bite here before long. Kayaking in the surf looks fun but also looks like a good way of losing your tackle or ruining it.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I was on seaview this weekend. Red and black drum, sea mullet, sand perch, stingrays, and a few blues caught.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
nice meeting you as well. I finally quit fishing around 2 and went to the sound side and caught a few crabs and raked up some clams. They'll bite here before long. Kayaking in the surf looks fun but also looks like a good way of losing your tackle or ruining it.
Yeah, coming in in that yak was a problem I did not foresee. The skirt did a pretty good job after tightening it up, but by the time I got close in I still had taken on some water. I had added enough flotation that it stayed upright. It was sluggish and not as stable, but I was able to paddle in even with it swamped. What I did not consider is that under that circumstance the bottom would hit the sand in about 6" of water and then the force of the water would roll it. Not a lot of personal peril at that point; I was practically on the beach. But it is rough on equipment.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
and a few blues caught.
Y'all get ready the blues are on their way up! Catching them by the bucket full Friday down here. Everyone on the pier got plenty. Gotchas, bottoms rigs, anything in the water got hit. Saturday was complete opposite. Hardly any.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yall should had those yaks in the backwaters pounding reds.
Yeah, if I were there purely to fish with highest chance of success, that probably would have been the plan. I just brought it along on a day at the beach with the kids though and I wanted to find out how it would do in the surf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts