NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anybody has any experience using a stringer on a kayak. We will mostly be fishing inshore, sometimes near Tubbs inlet. I've seen reports of sharks hitting catches in the past, but something tells me I'm being paranoid for inshore. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
When I read it my first thought(before I saw scotts post) was gators.........I wouldn't have a string over the side anywhere east of
I-95

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I dont yak but I can tell you first hand from a boat a stringer is asking for danger in these waters. I have had a chum bag snatched off by a gator in a side creek of the neuse, and I have had snakes trying to get at my fish in a fish basket, and had then grab a fish off a stringer fishing from shore. I used to like keeping a stringer because the fish on it are sending scent and signals which to me might draw fish but with the close calls I have had "down east" I dont use them anymore.
I used to crappie fish alot when I was shorebound and kept a stringer in the water with at least one rig floating within a few feet of it. Caught some of my biggest crappie and dozens of good eating size cats that way, they come to the "school" and the distress signals and scent.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was keeping my fish on a stringer during the winter fishing but now that it's warmer out I usually keep them in a cooler bag with ice since I have drinks in there as well.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I've also seen snakes come up to the stringers and try to take one. Not fun pulling up the stringer to add another fish and there he is.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I know a guy who fishes slocum and hancock creeks regularly and uses a stringer. We all know there is decent gator population in both those creeks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
After seeing that video last year of that giant bull shark eating the redfish in the intercoastal....I wouldn't try it. If you do I would at least kill the fish first so it wasn't splashing and drawing attention. A polar bear or similar soft sided cooler works well in yaks to keep drinks and fish cold for a day of fishing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Stringers

Many fishermen have a tendency to put their keepers on stringers then dangle them over the side of the boat or yak in the lake or creek. In fall and winter conditions, this is probably an adequate way of keeping fish fresh. However, in bright sunlight and warm temperatures it does not take long to "poach" the catch.
If planning to keep fish, it is best to" dispatch" kill immediately. as fish struggle and die on stringers or flop in empty ice chests, they build up lactic acid that breaks down the muscles. The meat gets mushy very quickly. A swift "bonk" on the head or a quick "wood shampoo" is the fastest way to dispatch the catch. Put the fish on ice immediately and keep it cold. This will slow the natural breakdown of the meat and keep it firmer. If you like fresh, clean tasting, firm textured, delicious fish try to have an ice filled cooler available on your yak or boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts