NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any lakes in NC with blue back herring the lake enough that local bait dealers catch and sell bait? I was told that Kerr has herring. Does anyone sell them up there? What about the Yadkin R. chain.

If I could find a source for bait, I amy go get bait every 2 weeks and keep it in a holding tank...

B

·
Registered
358 Posts
Please don't use those "non-native" species of bait fish in Jordan!

The Wildlife Resources Commission instituted a regulation banning the stocking or "dumping" of all fish species in public waters across North Carolina.

Here is some good reading on the potential effects of introducing non-native species into an ecosystem: LAKE NORMAN’S FISHERY IN TROUBLE

Use the abundant supply of native threadfin and gizzard shad which are easy to catch.

Me personally, I use bucktails.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hotspot. I have no intention of introducing anything to a system that is not already there, but I am not familiar with what is already in various systems in the state.

As a point of interest, from the point of view of a Hydrologist and a Biologist, the lakes we all love soo much are one of the biggest detriments to our ecosystems since European settlement. We have thrown migrations, sediemnt balance and channel stability out the window with un-natural impoundments across the U.S. Just food for thought, our lakes are not natural ecosystems. (Lake Reel Tree in TN is):eek:

I can hold gizzards for over a week so that should do fine..... but I prefer the live bait route.

Tight lines.

B

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Great article there hotspot. I really enjoyed reading it. Hate the effect that non-game is having on the bass and other species.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
nc wildlife federation article said:
"For whatever reasons, during the past few years, the population of white perch in Lake Norman has mushroomed. Huge numbers of perch are propagating. In a few short years, the previously significant population of white bass in the lake has been decimated, probably by white perch. White perch may have simply eaten the white bass fry and eggs and competed directly with them for the limited forage. Perch are excellent table fare and anglers are encouraged to catch and keep as many as possible. However, angling alone cannot keep the population of white perch in check. Currently, white perch offer an excellent opportunity for those anglers seeking large numbers of fish for table fare. The question now is whether the current populations can be controlled to maintain a quality new fishery. If white perch overpopulate Lake Norman in the future, they will inevitably become stunted."

...It is possible that predation by both recently introduced baitfish and white perch has resulted in reduced spawning success for largemouth bass...
That's what Stukayakfish has been talking about! Excellent to find the source. Thanks Hotspot!

I've never figured out how to sit on the white perch and fill the boat - just pick off one or two a trip. If I could, I might switch from catch&release toward helping to reduce the scope of their invasion...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would also like to add that "bait bucket" stocking of even native fish from one lake to another could have negative effects on the receiving lake. You could be introducing parasites and other diseases from the native gizzard or threadfin shad that the receiving lake does not possess. There are tons and tons and tons of native shad in Jordan Lake. You won't need to bring your own. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Awesome article. Thanks for letting me know Jeff. Hate to hear "sealed the demise" of the white bass. I wish they would stock them like stripers. Or some hybrids. I really miss the spring white bass runs on Wylie into Dutchmans creek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.