NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up early Thursday and went out for about 20-30 min. was blowing to hard and was cold so i went back in. Ate some breakfast and waited for it to warm up a little. Around 11-12 i took the girlfriend and went back out. This time I went across the river to a spot that usually holds a couple striper. I had caught some 4-5 inch mullet earlier with the cast net and put one of them on a carolina rig and set it out. It wasnt long before the rod bent over and we had a fish on. Handed it to my girl but she is new to fishing and is still learning, the fish got off :(. I switched to top water and got a fish on my third cast, it was a nice one and ran for some structure and broke me off :(. 0-2 so far. Not long after i hooked up again on top water, the fish missed it twice but i kept working it and third time was the charm. Had a good fight and a couple min later had a nice 22 inch striper in the boat! As soon as i got the hook out the carolina rig was hit hard. Handed it to the girl friend and tried to coach her up. This time she did great and a couple min later she had a 20 inch striper in the boat! Had a couple more hits on the carolina rig but i think the mullet were a little big for whatever was trying to take it. All in all we we hooked up on 4-5 fish and boated 2. Was a great day.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice, where did you find them (generally) on some structure ? I could catch them reliably in bath this fall, but the usual places aren't holding fish this spring. Trying to figure out the striper pattern. May go tomorrow for one last shot before the season closes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, where did you find them (generally) on some structure ? I could catch them reliably in bath this fall, but the usual places aren't holding fish this spring. Trying to figure out the striper pattern. May go tomorrow for one last shot before the season closes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was up in a creek and the fish were holding on structure. From my experience striper in the Pungo seem to be a more local population. I will find them in the same areas year round for the most part. If i had to guess I would say the fish you were catching in bath are probably up in the tar right now, or at least further west than bath is on the Pamlico.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts