NC Angler Forums banner

Striper Run...when? Where?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeffonc 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have been talking to some people and they have told me that it is not something to miss.

I have heard that either lake Jordan or the Haw River has a great Striper fall at some point.

Can you guys give me more details and when, where and why it happens?

Thanks a bunch!

Carlos

#4 ·
I'll post what I think and maybe somebody can correct/augment:

I'm not sure how much of a "run" we see at Jordan. The closest would probably be in the spring during the spawn, when they're going up into the river areas looking for moving water to do their. I would think the Haw is a good place to find them, but we don't hear much about it.

In the late fall they get more active out on the lake - I think they're feeling the prime temps. They come up closer to the surface for more aggressive feeding in schools. I'd say they follow the baitfish into the mouths of the main creeks, but not sure I would call it a "run".

#5 ·
Hey Jeff, I can't remember to type fish that were discussed but in another post in September you said you were going to fish large swimmer baits for awhile to see how they do. Can you give us an update on the the large swimmers?

Thanks...Jim

#6 ·
Jim, I bought a couple of big swimbaits, thinking I'd use them in the backs of the creeks this fall, around all the cover and weeds for fall largemouths... So much for that - all the cover and weeds are a full cast beyond the edge of the water. Haven't done much with them other than check out the action. I think somebody else (Backlash maybe?) was interested in the shad-imitations for striper trolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.