NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into the stripers with some friends down on the Roanoke.

Had a blast with lots of nice fish caught and released. Think we had something like 5 triples and 6 or 7 doubles. Hilarious fun with a dog on board that really gets excited when anybody hooks up.

Most fish 18-22 inches...did have a few really fat footballs at 23-25, and one big fish that wasn't measured for quick release, prob high 20s. Chartreuse got the biggest fish but not the most.

Same story as last time with gear and technique but it was really evident this trip how specific a pattern they were biting on. It came down to differences in specific jig head color and trailer causing very different hookup ratios and some areas really out producing all others. Helps to have multiple anglers trying different combos and zeroing in on the presentation.

Funny enough...we caught the most on the cheapest 1/2 oz jig heads painted with brightly colored fingernail polish. I had heard this kinda thing but never really bought into it, still I had made up a few jigs on this theory and they by far had the most bites...till we ran out.

Here are some highlights, I think the dog had the most fun.

Water Dog Sky Carnivore Collar
Water Fisherman Motorcycle helmet Fish Watercourse
Water Boat Recreation Leisure Automotive exterior
Fin Fish Gas Tail Fishing
Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fish Fishing
Water Sky Cloud Natural landscape Afterglow

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We put in at Jamesville, sounds like fish were good up and down river from us, planned on hitting the mouth after the morning but stayed in the creeks all day. PM sent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a fun day. Ha, Nailbender-jealous? You live in Jacksonville-you're surrounded by fantastic fishing! I live in Raleigh, not quite the same. Been thinking about surf reds down your way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.