NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The morning dawned quiet with a hint of a breeze and the sun trying to see through the clouds when I met tc down at the Trent River boat dock yesterday morning for my first lesson in striper fishing. He had already launched his rig by the time I arrived at 0650, for the 0700 meeting. Only one other boat at the ramp and he seemed in no great hurry to get underway.

After the short run to the striper grounds, tc cut the motor, tied on his favorite lure, and eased up near the pilings. I already picked out my lure and had it tied on and waiting for this trip for two days in advance. In position now, my Pal slung ‘er out and I did the same, letting the rattlin’ bait sink a few seconds before winding it back home. By the time tc had made 4 casts he had brought 2 stipers, a 17 and a 16 incher to the net. After the second fish was released, I wondered if he (maybe) had one more of those lures in his boat. He did, and the 50 bucks he wanted for one didn’t sound too steep, considering the situation.

About an hour went by and neither of us got a hit so he changed lures and proceeded to catch a couple/three more – oh well, with the gas prices changing 2 or 3 times a day, I guess 75.00 wasn’t that out of line for a different color bait – one that the fish seemed to want to eat. After a couple hours of no fish, not even a bump, and considering we were using the same bait, retrieving at the same speed, twitching the lure to the same rhythm, I stated to think it must be the line. It was about that time when the jumbo menhaden rolled in and tc chucked to this side of ‘em, while I chucked to the other side. You guessed it, about three cranks of the reel handle and tc was hooked up with a striper that measured just over 19 inches. The bunkers kept on coming and at one time it looked like the king mackerel sized baitfish were wall-to-wall across the entire width of the Neuse River. Before 1000, we had foul hooked and brought to boat no less than a dozen of the top-water flippin critters, each weighing about a quarter pound. The morning wore on and we each brought a large flounder to boat side but they both pulled away just as we caught view of them near the surface. It was about noon, the wind had picked up and we called it a day with one nice striper in the live well. Since it was my first trip, and because I was unfortunate not to have caught anything, my buddy offered me that fish to take home to my family for dinner – and if you think those lures were expensive……. Thanks Chris, it was delicious :D

Dave

PS - See ya in the morning, my friend.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Buddy roe Tc and my buddy Joe sound like they are cut from the same mold. His baits can get expansive in a hurry and heaven forbid if you borrow his navigator for a road trip, we are talking depost, insurance policy, threats of death and bodily harm you get the picture LOL.
Great report, I love the way your use of literary style.
I am suprised Tc didn't hit you with one of the great southernisms. "You just ain't holding your mouth right." The old timers would burn me up with that when I was a kid trying to catch bream beside one of them.
Next time try some of them live eels.
Better luck next time
James

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sweet deal!!! Glad ya'll found them!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Do menhaden typically go into inshore waters during the winter?
They were flippin' all over Washington today. Large ones, small pods, not big schools.. water temp was about 53-55 degrees

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang it, you got me there Jeffnc. Any of you that have fished with tc, knows he’s as generous as the summer’s day is long. I reluctantly, errrr, ahhhh graciously, returned the borrowed “secret” lure to Chris at the end of the trip. And to be quit honest, I doubt it was “just the lure” – tc just flat, out-fished me on this day… but, there is always another day – the good Lord willing. I did give you a hint on the type of lure we were using but I’ll leave it up to tc to provide any more details, if he cares to. I do know it ain’t available at WalMart.

Heck James, everyone knows that’s the first thing you gotta think of - "holding your mouth right. But tc’s got one of those poker faces when it comes to catching fish and I never seen him holdin’ it any way but regler, and for the life of me, I can’t hold mine like that.

straps57, I thought of that but didn’t have my live bait “mackerel” tackle with me that day. Probably should have tried something with ‘em though, they were everywhere.

Actually, the menhaden go offshore in the winter – they’ll be leaving the creeks and rivers shortly, as the water temps drop a few more degrees. Forgot what tc said the water temp was on the river Tuesday, but I was surprised to see so many bait fish still so far inshore with the fairly steady cool/cold air temps we’ve been having for the past several weeks.

sundrop, how’s the bite up in little Washington going?

Well, it's time for me to hit the showers, tc'll be showin up here in a couple hours :)

Good luck,
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.