NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a first trip to Kerr Friday night, got 2 hrs sleep, caught some bait and started learning the lake. Fished panhandle crk. for a 2 hrs or so with free lines and planers with no bites. Fished butchers crk. for about an hour with same rigs and 4 down lines, picked up a 25" fish crossing a hump with one of the down lines.

Went to grassy crk, caught 3 on free lines in 10-15' of water, all 23" or so. It was a good start to a new lake in March and weather and the lake was beutiful. Water temp 54-55 degrees. The drive was not too bad from Apex so I will be fishing up there a good bit, with Jordan looking like the fish kill has hurt us.

Bait was scattered, had to work at getting the bait....

Tight lines

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'd say that was a good trip especially in new waters!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great first outing up there. My favorite lake of Falls, Jordan, and Kerr, just having a rough time catching striper up there this year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good catch of stripers .Kerr is a great lake to fish this time of the year.Have caught some really nice fish around Clarksville area. Was out on Jordan on Sat. trying to catch a few crappie,saw alot of striper fishing going on from 64 to the river.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff-
Its dead river. We have two places named "dead river" on Santee where I grew up.

Fishy- I figured the upper 1/3 of the lake might offer a big fish this time of year and will keep on trying. Clarks Hill Lake in SC in similar in makeup to Kerr and usually yeilds its biggest fish, 40-50#, in March. I imagine the boats you saw on Jordan were from the tournament....

See ya'll on the water. It is nice to be back at it, that is for sure!! I'll be back up there in 2 weeks. I am gonna hit High Rock or Badin this weekend while visiting family for Easter. If ya'll see a 21' blue Tidewater boat stop by and say hello.

tight lines
B

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JWW-
I have not personally striper fished Badin yet, so I can't comment on the lake specifically, but will post up what I learn.

I am sure, that general fishing techniques and time of year comments are covered in many previous posts. It should only be getting better between now and water temps of 78 degrees or so, 67 has always been the best temp for my SC lakes. I guess that time will tell up here.....

tight lines..

B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.