NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have read some of my other post you have probably noticed I like Striped Bass. Especially trophy size striper on live bait. I grew up being dragged all over South Georgia and North Florida by my dad in pursuit of trophy large mouth bass. That is where I learned the importance of good bait for trophy fish. I had more than one large mouth over 10 lbs buy the time I was 15. Later in life in pursuit of my own fishing adventures I discovered the fly rod. Especially in pursuit of my passion which is trophy size fish. I started out after giant tarpon in Homosassa springs Fla. and went from there. This is ultimately how I landed on striper fishing. Living in the mountains of WNC the pursuit of anything big was not happening, and sorry guys but the little brookies everybody loves wasn’t doing it for me, so after some research I landed on land locked striper. Lots of fish to chase within a couple of hours. Based on past experiences and pursuit of these fish I have landed on what I think is a pretty good setup for striper on fly. I use 2 rods and 8 wt and a 10 wt both with weight forward intermediate lines. I don’t use floating lines because I want to get down to the bigger fish when they are blitzing on top. The same goes for sinking lines I don’t use them because in a river situation they will hang up more. I know some saltwater guys use the sinking lines to get deep. Most lakes in the southeast are not very deep and by using the same lines I don’t ever have to be changing around and can use the same two rods all the time. I like big flies. I tie all my own flies, most all of them based on the clouser as seen in Bob Clousers book on his flies as well as a few others such as Lefty’s deceiver. I like the clouser with bunny strip the best. Colors are like anything else weather and water color dictates. But if I had to choose I would say chartreuse and white. Lefty says “if it ain’t chartreuse it ain’t no use”. When fishing big lakes with big water it is best to find fish working the surface. In river situations, like the Cumberland in TN. Where you have a chance at a truly big fish I use big fly’s working the banks around structure. For the most part big fish want hit a fly. Now I am not saying they want because I am counting on one doing just that. But for the most part it will be mostly small fish. I am talking around 8-10lbs or smaller on average, not small to ever body. But it’s a heck of a lot of fun. My boat never leaves the dock with out my fly rods on board. For any purest out there who don’t like the idea that I use live bait I would recommend that you don’t limit yourself buy and ideal. I use the tools at my disposal to catch the biggest fish I can, as much as I would like to catch them all on a fly rod the reality is that’s not going to happen. So in the mean time I will use the other tools to find and learn the fish. Most of the fish we fly fisherman pursue where found and caught first buy fisherman, many times fly fisherman, using other techniques including live bait to find and learn the fish. Permit on fly is a prime example. Most fly fisherman will go after permit with a crab imitation that they gained confidence in by must likely catching there first permit on a live crab.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Awesome Post. I always fly fished for "Bluegills on the fly and have just started to fish more and more for Bass on the Fly.

So do you use a "Sinking Tip" or a long, (Whatever long is) tippet? What pound test or size is your tippet on the #8 fly line when fishing for Bass?

Thanks and good info! Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know about anyone else.... but if i were fishing it I would use a fluorocarbon leader... Forget using a leader in this situation(more bang for your buck plus it may just be stronger... I throw 17lb test fluorocarbon on my 6 wt and it sinks fine and throws top water just fine... JMHO....

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I do the flyrod for bedding bream and man they love the small poppers or spiders. Great pull on a light outfit.

Bet the stripers will get it a nice run

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.