NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE WENT TO WELDON SATURDAY AFTERNOON, FISHED FROM 2:30 UNTIL 7:00. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE RIVER SO ROUGH. THE WIND WAS BLOWING STRAIGHT DOWN THE RIVER AND WAVES 3-4 FEET WHITE CAPPING. YOU WOULD OF THOUGHT YOU WERE IN THE OCEAN. DEBRIS,LIMBS,STICKS,LEAVES FLOATING EVERYWHERE. NOT THE FORECAST I HAD HOPED FOR. WE MANAGED TO CATCH 8 STRIPERS , VERY POOR. WE FISHED SUNDAY 6:00 TO 3:30 AND CAUGHT THEM PRETTY GOOD. MY SON CAUGHT THE BIGGEST ONE 12LBS. WE CAUGHT ALL OF THESE ON ARTIFICIAL BAIT. NOT MANY PEOPLE WERE FISHING THE WAY WE WERE. WE TALKED TO ONE GUY STAYING AT THE MOTEL HE CAUGHT A 22LB. AND THEY LIMITED OUT EASY. WE SAW THIS GUY SUNDAY HE CAUGHT ONE 39"LONG. HE WAS GOING TO HAVE HIM MOUNTED. THEY WERE USING LIVE HERRING. THEY CAUGHT THEM FLOATING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER DRIFTING. THE BIG FISH ARE THERE AS WITH ALL THE PEOPLE, BOATS EVERYWHERE. IF YOU CAN GO DURING THE WEEK,GO. THE CUT OFF FOR KEEPING STRIPERS IS MAY 4TH. AFTER THAT YOU WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT CROUN GOING THEN. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW THAT EVEN YOU KNOW THE FISH ARE THERE AND YOU SHOULD CATCH THE CRAP OUT OF THEM, MOTHER NATURE DOES PLAY A ROLL IN THE RESULTS.

P.S. DWFLETCHER I LOOKED FOR YOUR BOAT THIS WEEKEND BUT FROM ALL THE OTHER BOATS THERE I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE. HOPE TO SEE YOU ON THE WATER,SOON. JIMMY:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fished yesterday (Monday) there and we had a great day. We managed around 30 fish in the morning all but 2 or 3 on the fly rod. We took a break at mid-day when the fishing slowed and the put back in around 3:30. The bite from about 4 PM until we left them biting at 7:30 was amazing. I caught fish on my last 5 consecutive casts before we left and we ended the day with well over 100 fish. We used 6, 7, and 8 wt. fly rods but had a tough time with other artificials. We did see other boats catching fish on artificials and those using live bait were wearing them out. Most of our fish were in the 3 - 5 lb. range. Boat traffic was thick, but we had very little wait at the boat ramp. Traffic should lighten up after Wednesday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.