NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just moved to Chapel hill and been looking around for places to fish and ive been to Jordan lake once.

Pls advise me some good place to shore fishing for stripers,bass and crappie.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard. Can't help you with the fishing spots up your way but I'm sure some others will be able to. If you ever decide to head down to the coast, let us know and we'll try to help you out there too.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
ryan (?): if stripers are you're main objective, jordan is your closest spot (otherwise kerr, gaston). the striper run in the roanoke river takes place later this spring, though it's a longer drive from CHill. do you fish from boat, kayak, bank, etc.? in march, the OWASA lakes (no petrol-powered boats) open back up, including university lake (carroboro) and cane creek (hwy54 west of carrboro). good bass fishing in both. with more details about your interests, gear, etc., we could be more specifically helpful. fyi -- Joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Alot of info on Jordan shared here in the past. Use the "search" function Keyword: JORDAN and you can track it all down.. Good luck when you get to go!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Ryan - Welcome!

I've been around Jordan to several of the boat ramps but never tried any fishing from shore. A couple places that have looked good for shore fishing but might need some exploration would be:
  • The Haw river downstream from the 64 bridge. Not even sure there's parking/access up there, but lots of rocks & pools to target bass in. I've heard that the whites and stripers will run up into the river in the spring but can't confirm.
  • Robeson Creek underneath the Pea Ridge Rd bridge. Anything under a bridge is interesting to me. Looks like it might be shallow back there at normal pool. Haven't seen it at drought levels - may be dry at low pool. But looks fishy back there when there's water.
  • The Weaver Creek access area. Nice parking area with access to a lot of shoreline. Some rip-rap, some timber, some points. Would think you could find crappies and LM at the right times of the year.
  • The spillway below the dam. Some folks love to fish the moving water below the dam. Should concentrate the migratory river fish in the springtime (crappies, white bass, stripers). Fishability depends on how much water they're letting out.
  • In this post --> http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f6/cary-apex-area-ponds-5953.html folks suggested Horton's Pond on 751 - I think its part of an arm of Jordan that's cut off by 751. Jordan lake is on the other side of the road.
Hopefully these can lead to some better info from folks who've tried them before.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
sorry -- didn't read the original post well enough re: shore fishing. i can confirm horton's pond has some good water accessible from the bank.

some great bank fishing for bass in umstead park off hwy70 near the RDU airport (big lake, sycamore lake, reedy creek lake). BUT lots of snakes and ticks, so i always wear snake boots and insect repellent (doesn't always work for the ticks!). // joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.