NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 9 hours wading today. Took the fly rod of course with high hopes and somewhat low expectations. I'm getting the hang of it nicely and quickly I think. I tied on an elk hair caddis that received lots of attention but the fish would never commit fully. I tied on a Dave's Hopper with a nymph dropper with no luck (lost both of those). Then came the black wooly bugger. This thing is the ticket.

First 8 fish were rock bass and redbreasts. This made my day alone seeing how I haven't caught any of those little bass in ages. None of them were large but I had a nice sized one come out from under a rock 3 times after the fly only to spit it out immediately. I wish I would've caught it.

The last two fish were interesting. This was my first river long rod trip. I didn't expect to catch a trout even though that's what I was targeting ultimately. I seen a few trout as I approached a pool and spooked them. Minutes later I landed the beautiful rainbow pictured. This is where I think luck played a huge part. I moved on up river and maybe an hour after I caught the rainbow it happened. I hook into and pull from the depths the biggest trout I've ever brought to hand. I had no way of measuring it but it was mid twenties or there about!!! It was a pig in my book and a formidable opponent on the fly rod. I wanted to stay longer but I had reached my stopping destination and headed back to civilization.

I may as well sale every piece of spinning gear I own. It'll do nothing but collect dust from here on out.

I seen two snakes that looked exactly like small copperheads. Watersnakes? I don't know and frankly don't care. Also, I found a neat looking snail/slug and took a quick picture.

As always, I hauled out beer cans, sardine cans, wads of fishing line and a metal bracket of some sort.

I took a pic of this bluehead chub that was barely alive with something funky going on with his head and eyes.

]

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Bruiser Brown WM good job man. If your approach is reaponsible luck has nothing to do with it! And with all the wooly buggers im seeing outside id say its a good choice of a fly.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anybody have any knowledge about snails? Seems info is scarce but there is some online.

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts