NC Angler Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe anytime you get an extreme weather event it typically has a negative effect. Not always of course, sometimes it can have a positive effect but a 6' water fluctuation and particularly a 10° temperature change is huge. I also marked a significant number of fish, right off the dock and around the rocky point turning toward the dam. So much so, I had to troll over them. Most were at about 25' with a scattering above and below. I dropped my downrigger right in the middle of them but with no luck even with multiple passes. Same in other parts. I also like you, tried from about 25' to about 35'-40', and used leadcore around 15' +/- all to no avail.
There were some guys apparently camping or just hanging out at the small island in the river. They were swimming along with their dog so I didn't bother going beyond that big debris field.

Last year was my first year back to warm water fishing, having spent most of my adult life in cold trout streams. Best I got out of Adger was a 5 lb. largemouth. I mostly focused on crappie, as I did this past spring. Last year I did okay and anticipated good things to come but I've had a particularly poor run of luck this year! Multiple times it's been the weather. Since you fish Adger too, I assume you're somewhere in the A'ville/H'ville area?

And walleye, that's something I'd like to catch but I've barely dipped my toe in the water trying to learn trout trolling. Not enough brain cells to try to learn that too, lol. So if I snag a walleye it will be an accident while trolling for trout!
You wanna hammer crappie learn to troll (flat lining) for them. I fish several crappie tournaments every year and we consistently place in the top 3 doing it. You can get bites when jigging won’t and it’s a lot easier to catch them this way in deep water or when they are really spread out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
My first year back fishing after over 20 years and I've caught a 6lb largemouth out of Adger, the nice trout posted above, smallmouth, crappie, perch, bluegill, and catfish. Walleye is the last fish on my list to complete a successful return to the sport!
A musky out of Adger would be a bonus lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Your best bet for walleye in nc would be lake James. It’s the heaviest stocked lake in nc and They hold several tournaments a year for walleye there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Your best bet for walleye in nc would be lake James. It’s the heaviest stocked lake in nc and They hold several tournaments a year for walleye there.

My last trip there, I stayed too late fishing on a Saturday morning. By 11:30 I wasn't sure my little vhull was going to make it back without getting swamped by blind people hauling ass in ocean liners.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts