NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I bought a Penn 750ss combo to fish for Cobia but haven't got to use it for Cobia yet. Comes with a Slammer 7ft rod. My plans were to use it to chunk big jigs and soak bait. I have some other big reels more for soaking bait. The 750 might be a bit of overkill to some but the price was right and I can use it for other stuff too like old drum and big cats.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I assume this will be for casting? Kind of hard to say on that one. Kings and Cobia are different types of fighters so it may be hard to find a reel and rod setup that will serve both purposes.

But, if you want some just good all around reels, look at shimano speedmasters or tld's on live bait rods. You can literally catch almost anything in the ocean on those things. They are very versatile for a variety of different species. The speedmasters will have a higher gear ratio than the TLDs, however the TLDs will almost have twice as much max drag. Really can't go wrong with either one and they have withstood the test of time. I personally use the TLD 15s and have caught plenty of kings, sailfish, big drum, cobia and all matters of sea creatures with them.

I also have a penn battle 6000 on an ugly stik tiger lite jigging rod that works great for cobia. They have that exact setup for sale at Chasin Tails right now for 170 bucks I believe. That also includes a spool of 65 pound braid.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Depends on how you plan to fish. For soaking bait the Penn Battle 6000/Tiger Lite jigging rod combo mentioned above works well. I have 6 of them that I use for cobia and old drum bait chunking. They are way too heavy for chunking bucktails though. For that I use ci4 4000's on Teramar MH rods spooled with 20 pound braid. Don't let anyone tell you that you need more than 20 pound line because you don't. Sure, you stand a great chance of a 60 pound fish, but you're not going to put over 20 pounds of lateral pressure on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.