NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm hoping to get out this weekend for some nearshore fishing.... I love to bottom fish but beggars can't be choosers. Any suggestions on spots and/or techniques??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh sorry. That's probably important. I plan to launch out of Bogue Inlet...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I store my boat in a Emerald isles and plan to launch out of Bogue inlet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Artificial Reef 342 is 3 miles out of Bogue Inlet. You could anchor and bottom fish it or slow drift with the current. You could troll by planar board or slow troll live mullet or menhaden. That depth is about 50' out there so you'll have plenty of water column to fish. I was on 315 a few weeks ago. The spanish were thick up top. We were slowing trolling catching spanish but we saw a boat anchored casting to them topwater doing quite well. You might pick up a king trolling a live bait or a dead cigar.

Otherwise you could troll the beaches if the water is clear. But generally that's an early morning thing before it gets too hot (for me).

The issue lately has been wind. There's been a stiff S to SW for almost two weeks. Watch your tides and the wind leaving Bogue Inlet. I hear Bogue Inlet channel can be thin and shallow at times. I fish out of Beaufort Inlet so I don't have real experience with it. There is a forum thread about Bogue Inlet posted a few days ago giving advice on the path out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Artificial Reef 342 is 3 miles out of Bogue Inlet. You could anchor and bottom fish it or slow drift with the current. You could troll by planar board or slow troll live mullet or menhaden. That depth is about 50' out there so you'll have plenty of water column to fish. I was on 315 a few weeks ago. The spanish were thick up top. We were slowing trolling catching spanish but we saw a boat anchored casting to them topwater doing quite well. You might pick up a king trolling a live bait or a dead cigar.

Otherwise you could troll the beaches if the water is clear. But generally that's an early morning thing before it gets too hot (for me).

The issue lately has been wind. There's been a stiff S to SW for almost two weeks. Watch your tides and the wind leaving Bogue Inlet. I hear Bogue Inlet channel can be thin and shallow at times. I fish out of Beaufort Inlet so I don't have real experience with it. There is a forum thread about Bogue Inlet posted a few days ago giving advice on the path out.

Good luck.
Thanks spinning reel! After looking at the tide tables, I think I'm going to try to head out of bogue inlet around 1100 and try to fish Ar-342 and possibly Keypost. I'll try bottom fishing with live/cut bait and 4in gulps and see what happens!

·
Registered
10 Posts
FamilyGuy,

How was your trip? Any good locations or advice?

I am going to be there this weekend with kayaks and a small skiff, completely new to the area and coastal fishing.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.